Recommend me a tripod system for Canon HF10

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bchamorro, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

Recommend me a tripod with head for a Canon HF10 please.

I have a $450 budget.

2. sebassttiann macrumors newbie

At that price range you could spend a bit more money on the head and go with a bogen 503hdv or spend more money on the legs and get a bogen 501hdv both can get you at your price range and deliver decent results depending on what type of video you plan on producing.

3. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

so are you sure the bogen 503hdv will work for the HF10? Isn't the camera too light for this head?

the camera weighs roughly 1 lbs.

4. sebassttiann macrumors newbie

HUMMM Well any professional tripod should do the job regardless of weight. However i took a look at your budget and not exactly what camera you had. To be honest I dont know. Libec makes a few consumer stuff but other then that Im not used to working with cameras that small. ALso depends on what you are shooting. For some people a wal mart tripod might just get the job done or something consumer from ritz camera.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the comments made regarding weight. Weight DOES make a difference as related to camera balance as well as load carrying capacity. That is why their is a weight range listed.

We are using the 701 HDV with our Canon HF100 and are generally pleased with it. Your major challenge is - as you have stated - the light weight.

After substantial research - we have purchased a Libec LS-38M(2A) for our heavier gear - it is too much for your camera unless you add a weighting plate - but the best performer - on par with units running $1500 or so.

6. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Some more thoughts - I've been watching video techniques more intensely as of late. There is far less panning and far more cut to another shot. Thus, some of the drag settings and fluid motion requirements are not even involved in most clips. A technique that I am learning when panning is required involves pulling the pan bar with a - get ready for this - rubber band :eek:

It really can further smooth things out. That said - I'm reducing the number of pan shots as best as I can.

The Manfrotto 701 HDV is easily w/i your stated budget.

7. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Corps,
    I called BH Photo Video today and they recommend the

Gitzo G-2380 Video Fluid Head - Supports 2.2 to 11 lbs
    [​IMG]
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=216522&is=REG

and the Bogen 701HDV.

They told me that if I can afford the Gitzo that I should go with that one, if not then he Bogen 701HDV will be fine.

I'll be shooting horses in motion so I need something very smooth.

What do you think of the Gitzo?

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

As with most things on the forums - you'll get mixed opinions. Genarally, Gitzo is a step up from Manfrotto. I've not used that specific head - some mixed reviews on it not being as "smooth".

The 701 HDV is a true fluid head - I'm not sure that the Gitzo you mentioned is a fluid head - might be friction based.

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Here is the misleading info from the Gitzo site - they claim it to be a fluid head BUT the description clearly outlines a Teflon friction system:

Attached Files:

10. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I will just start off with the 701 HDV.
    What legs are you using with the 701HDV?

11. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Respectfully - no flame wars desired - I think you are over complicating the issue at this level of purchase.

You could simply go for the Gitzo if you can return it w/i x days should you not like the head. Or go for the 701 package and live with their quick release leg style.

I have no idea how they might work in a mix n match configuration.

Edit - the 190xprob leg lock mechanism works well - I actually MUCH prefer it to the twist lock style.

13. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

I know am I overcomplicating it. lol
    I have to buy "blind" because I don't have the camera with me. Once I get the tripod and head I have to take it to my friend who has the camera (who lives in another country). We will be shooting by the end of October.

I just have to be very careful with this purchase because I can't go on my trip with a tripod system that won't work well with the HF10. I already learned my lesson with the Matthews M25 (which didn't work well with the HF10).

If you say the 701HDV works very smooth with the HF100 then I will just go with the 701HDV and pick some Bogen legs. Sound reasonable?

14. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Also - "smoothly" at this price level takes some work / experience / technique.

The unit I purchased is head and shoulders above the $100 ProSystems entry level stuff at your camera shop. On a higher end - I returned a $1500 Manfrotto and replaced it with the Libec unit I referenced - far better and much less cost.

Good panning takes skill - better equipment really helps though.

16. sebassttiann macrumors newbie

my comment about weight was in relationship to his cameras weight and his budget. which reveals what kind of tripods he will be in the market for.

17. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

I just bought the 701HDV. I still haven't decided on the legs.
    I will sometime this week.

18. jotaro04 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am new to this kind of stuff actually and I just bought a canon HF10 and now still looking for the right tripod for it
    I just wondering since in the Canon HF10 manual it's said that the tripod's fastening screw is supposed to be less than 0.2" or 5mm and in the 701 HDV spec it's said that the attachment (top) is 1/4" and 3/8" (which are more than 0.2")
    Could someone please explain me about this? is it still okay to get 701 HDV for canon HF10?
    Thanks