Recommend me a UPS for external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, Jul 8, 2014.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a 15" rMBP and Western Digital Thunderbolt hard drive. Naturally, I'm not concerned about the laptop being on a battery backup. However, it's the hard drive I'm concerned about. Some storms rolled through last night and this morning, and I've been getting texts from my home security system all morning telling me that the power is going out and coming back on (why can't the power go out at work instead :(). Anyways, I'm a bit paranoid about the external drive and the sudden power cycling without properly ejecting the drive can't be good for it.

Been thinking about getting a UPS just for the hard drive, something on the cheap end. I'm thinking if a UPS in the $50 range provides 7 minutes of power for a desktop and monitor, it should last a lot longer if it's only powering a hard drive, am I right? Anyone here have a UPS powering just a hard drive? If so, which make and model and how long does it last? Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I like the APC brand and this low end model should easily power your drive like you want. There is a chart at the bottom that shows minutes of power at different wattage draws.