Recommend me a UPS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Jun 20, 2010.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i live on a lake, and power tends to go out a lot, so i have been looking into a UPS. I have a brand new custom pc w/ i7 2.8, GTS250, 4HDD, 800w psu and a dell 24 LCD. I was looking at this model: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500LCD&total_watts=200
    but came across the surge suppression value of only 340 joules! MY APC surge strip has 3400 joules for a rating and makes me feel somewhat ok with the amount of lightning we have here, so this would be a terrible step down. Any suggestions on which one to go with would be appreciated.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Daisy chain the 2. Plug the strip into the wall then plug the APC into the strip. Make sure the APC is the only thing plugged into the strip and you should be ok because then you get both.

I have had that APC you linked to for about 2 years and it has worked great for when the power blips for 20 mins for so but after that the computer and monitor will completely kill the battery APC. But then again the APC job is mostly only to get threw short power blips and give you time to shut down and save your work.