Recommend me a used laptop for Logic 8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Vladdypwnz, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Vladdypwnz macrumors newbie

I've been a PC user longer than I've been able to walk and thus know very little about macs.

But recently it has come to my attention that Logic Studio 8 is the hottest thing ever as I'm interested in sound production and I've exhausted the list of PC Midi-sequencer widgets and found them to be kind of weak.

I'm going to give Logic Studio a test-drive this sunday and if I like it I will be faced with a problem - I dont have a mac. I was planning on getting a used laptop for college so might as well make it a macbook which brings me to the question:

What kind of processing power would I need from a macbook to run and process realtime input from Guitars and Basses and Synths? (something I was told it could do)

Which macbook (if macBOOK can at all) can satisfy these requirements?

How much would it cost? Preferably used?

Thanks!

Toodles.

2. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

It is a great choice to switch to mac. you'll love it. Logic 8 is neat too. Now with your issue, my best suggestion is to go ahead and get a Macbook. It will do as far a speed but i will recommend a fast Macbook. If you're looking to spend a few more $$$, then a Macbook Pro will do you well. However a decent Macbook will be just fine. As far as a used MB goes, you can get a refurbished laptop right from the apple site. They guarantee its complete functionality. Plus it saves you some bucks.

3. Vladdypwnz thread starter macrumors newbie

I need something more specific than that. Preferaby in Ghz\Ram Gb sizes.

I'll end up getting something off ebay I'm sure, even the refurbished macbook looks pretty outrageously expensive.

Since I'm getting a used one I need some kind of a reference to a model. I don't know what they're called. Just macbooks? How do you then differentiate between ones that are 3 years old and ones that are brand new? I've seen suffix G added. Is that it?

In other words what model to look for that's not too old but not too new?

4. Vladdypwnz thread starter macrumors newbie