Recommend Me A Verizon Phone

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimmyDThing, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I need to get a new phone, I currently have a Samsung that I love, but it seems like that don't support bluetooth file sharing, which I think should be enabled on all bluetooth enabled phones.

Any recommendations?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If you are looking for bluetooth file sharing, get a different provider. NO Verizion phone supports that as the Verizon custom interface intentionally disables it.

That said, if you must have Verizon, the Razr and the Chocolate are both good phones. There is also a hack out there (difficult) to bring back bluetooth file sharing on the Razr under Verizon if you so choose to go that route.

3. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure file sharing is supported on certain phones... my brother got an Env and I was playing around with it on Thanksgiving and took some pictures from it and sent him some mp3's...

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

JimmyDThing -- I'd sure like to know how you did this with your brother's EnV. I have one, and have never been able to do any file sharing with mine. Can you give some instructional help?

Thanks!

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Oh, you can file share, but only via MMS, which costs money. You cannot over bluetooth. This is a company/phone wide Verizon policy.

If there are any exceptions it would be in the high end smart phones only. Eitehr Blackberry or something running Windows mobil. That would be your only hope of getting a Verizon phone with bluetooth file transfer enabled.

6. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I have also had Verizon for years, and they DO cripple the functions on their phones, esp bluetooth. I don't think that has changed, yet. But it may with the pressure to live up to the iPhone and demand for usable phones. For instance (I haven't read up about them, but...) perhaps their new Voyager and the other new touch phone they are releasing will have less-crippled functionality.

I have an LG vx8600 and I love it. It's basically the sleek, flip-version of the chocolate. The only cons are Verizon's software on the phone and lack of software on the mac.

7. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I realize macrumors isn't probably the best place to tag such a question, but:

I have wandered if their is a way to put the original manufacturors "os" on phones that verizon has mucked up. I wanted to find the music program LG had originally designed for the chocolates and replace verizon's with it. Anyone know if this is possible?

8. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

On some phones, yes, you can put the original manufactures OS back on it.

However, this requires:
    Windows
    Special Cables
    Software that is only available to developers (illegal or not free)
    A copy of the desired phone firmware
    Time and guts, it can brick your phone

To find out more. Look through Howardforum.com. They have links to instructions on how to do this for many phones.

9. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Howardforums always overwhelms me a bit, and I never seem to find anything useful for my phone.

10. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it was done using bluetooth... I paired it and then browsed the device... had a list of directories I could access, send, and receive files to and from.

Edit: I might be able to grab his phone again tomorrow and if I can I'll post some screenshots of what I did.

11. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I owned a RAZR myself for a while when I was in bondage to -- er, I mean a customer of -- Cingular/AT&T, and I could easily connect via Bluetooth.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can realistically do about this. Either switch to Sprint or to AT&T, since they tend to restrict you the least.