Recommend me a vnc/remote desktop app

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by knarzie, Nov 1, 2012.

1. knarzie, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

knarzie macrumors regular

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Mac mini, but before I do, I'd appreciate some advice. Please bear with me, I'm not much of a computer person...(is vnc and Remote Desktop the same thing?)

I figured I could try it out with my ipad3 + unibody MacBook combo to see if I like it, before I get a mini.

Mini will be hooked up to tv as HTPC. First I thought being able to control mini via ipad would be sufficient, but now I'm thinking it would be useful to use it via ipad while, other people are using tv for actual tv watching. Mostly just to view and edit word documents and such, nothing heavy. Don't know what else I need to consider as I have no experience with virtual desktop software other than the occasional Citrix use to access uni desktop.

Hit me with ideas!

Ps: my MacBook still runs lion but I could update to ML if that makes a diff

Splashtop 2 and Log Me In seem to get a lot of mention. Anything else I should consider?

2. hyteckit Guest

I've been playing with splashtop 2 running on my iPad and Android tablet for the last 2 weeks.

Seems pretty cool. The Android app was free and the iPad app cost $2. The iPhone app is currently free too.

Only tested out local access.

Can't access remotely unless I pay $0.99 for a month or $9.99/yr. Seems pretty cheap.

3. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks, I'll give it a try. Not too bothered about actual remote access as I only want to use it at home.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If you're connecting to a PC then try the Remote Desktop app, but if you're connecting to a Mac then give Connect My Mac a chance.

5. TheDoctah macrumors member

6. Brad02 macrumors regular

I prefer LogMeIn but Jump Desktop is decent as well.

7. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

8. The Dougler macrumors member

The Dougler

this. I use it on my htpc with no issues. The ios app has come a long way since i first started using it as well. Great system.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Connect My Mac is one of the best. I've used it and love it.

10. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

iTeleport. It's a bit pricey but works very well.

11. dthree36 macrumors regular

I have been using a combo. Splash top works good if you are on the same network as your device but it does have the option to connect while on the go for like $2 a month or something. My other favorite is Pocket Cloud. I like pocket cloud because it does both VNC and RDP. It does have the access from any where option but like splashtop, it has trouble every now and then. I use Pocket cloud to access PC's primarily and not my Mac.

Splashtop does offer a decent audio and video over the connection so if you have the bandwidth, you can stream from your computer.

That said... I will throw in a third option. Logmein. I have the free account setup when the other two fail. Its free and their app is free as well. So if you need to access your computer from anywhere, Mac or PC, this is quite honestly, the most reliable option. A fourth option I don't use to often is teamviewer. Its free but a full license is too expensive to consider.

12. ebika macrumors 6502

I've used iSSH, iTap VNC and iTeleport and I prefer iTeleport the most by far. I really like how iTeleport implemented the way you drive the mouse cursor around and gesture for mouse clicks. Mouse click gestures don't move the mouse cursor to where you touch the screen, so you don't need crazy precision and zooming to control the mouse.

13. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ebika. Yes, £13.99, that is rather pricey. But what you say about the cursor sounds very promising.

14. ninermac macrumors member

15. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

just given LogMeIn a quick try and it's working fine. I guess I'll only find niggles and weaknesses once I use it a bit more. When I got the free app it said trial version, does that mean it will ask me to pay for full version after trial period?

----------

Thanks for your input. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between VNC and RDP?

16. ebika macrumors 6502

RDP is built in to Windows, so doesn't require a separate install. Functionally it's similar to VNC, but Windows-only.

I agree that iTeleport is pricey. I picked it up during a sale.

17. drunkbacchus macrumors newbie

I've been using Team Viewer, which is free so long as you are using it for personal use.

The app is also free, and allows you to switch between multiple monitors with ease! Can't recommend it enough!

18. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Yeah. Splashtop is simply the best. It's just like sitting at the host machine. And way better and cheaper than Logmein.

19. M87 macrumors 65816

I heard a lot of praise for an app called Screens, but I haven't tried it myself.

20. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

21. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Jump Desktop is fantastic

It has the best reviews of all the remote apps I looked at in the app store.

It has slick software on OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android (I've personally used all versions except Android).

It also uses google account integration in order to avoid having to set up port forwarding and router firewall access. This makes the app "stupidly easy" to get working. On the other hand, if you don't have a google account, you'd have to set one up.

It integrates perfectly with full-size bluetooth keyboards, even to the point of passing on ALL keys (CTRL, CMD, ALT, APPLE, WIN, F1, F2, etc).

It totally won me over with ease of configuration, ease of use, and flawless operation. I cannot recommend it more highly!

http://jumpdesktop.com/