Recommend me a wireless/router modem (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ct2k7, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Hello,

I'm currently looking to replace my now dying Linksys WAG54GS and photo-frame-but-crap-coverage-Huawei-HG520b.

I need something that gives excellent coverage, the house is quite big, and I need coverage in either 'wings' of the house.

Any ideas?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've had excellent luck with the Linksys E2000 (UK Amazon Link)

It's unfortunately a little pricy (UK£ 63.26 = 102.61 U.S. dollars according to Google) and I got it for $69.00 at Best Buy on sale. I live in an apartment, but have noticed that my iPhone connects to the WiFi when I'm stopped at the traffic light on the street outside my building.

I haven't done it on this one yet, but the E2000 supports DD-WRT which allows for manual manipulation of the transmitter power. (DD-WRT link). As far as bandwidth, I have an iMac and a Synology NAS attached to it, as well as an ATV2, PS3, MBP, iPhone, and cable company DVR connecting wirelessly to it. The N speed is terrific..I'm getting about 15MBPS both directions when reading from the NAS, and between 30-50 directly connected.

3. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I'm skeptical about inhoused antennas, however, from your description it looks like it is successful. I'll see if I can get one from PCWorld, or Amazon.

4. sdneidich macrumors member

My folks have an Airport Extreme, and it gives coverage all over our 4 bedroom, two floor house. I would recommend.

5. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

This is the house.

The area pictured is just over half an acre.

[​IMG]

6. sdneidich macrumors member

7. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I am using the Cisco E3000 and the coverage in a small house is excellent.

@blevins321 new software and firmware was issued for the E3000 a short while ago - you might want to check if you need to get it for the E2000.