Recommend me an enclosure and HD!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NickD, Jul 30, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm looking to replace my Maxtor OneTouch 300GB HD with my own DIY external made with an internal HD and an enclosure.

Problem is, I don't know where to start. I'm going to be using this HD as a scratch disk for video and photography work, and don't need FW 800, only FW 400.

Can you guys recommend me a good inexpensive enclosure and HD? I'm trying to save money for other things as well, so the cheaper, the better, but I won't skimp on quality and go for something crappy.

NickD

2. colorspace macrumors 6502

3. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

colorspace's recommendations look really really good, although a bit expensive for me.

I had a 320GB SATA drive from my desktop and i bought this enclosure for it from newegg. It's fairly simple, but i like that it had both IDE and SATA connectors and it's cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817423006

4. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

This thing would be perfect for me if it had more USB ports. D'oh.

5. aye5882 macrumors member

i had a question about this... do you guys know what a better/faster internal HD + enclosure combination is:

internal IDE + firewire

or

internal SATA + usb2.0?

i thought that SATA was faster than IDE... but isn't firewire faster than usb2.0?

6. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

SATA is faster that IDE, but since you're connecting via USB or firewire, I don't think you'll see the difference (correct me if I'm wrong). You're limited by the transfer rate of USB/firewire on the enclosure, not by the interface of the hard drive. So firewire will be faster in any case.

7. aye5882 macrumors member

yea, that's what i thought. but the only enclosures i found (on newegg) dedicated for SATA hard drives are usb 2.0... which would cause a bottleneck on transfer speeds.

but the IDE enclosures have both usb 2 and firewire... so even if IDE is slower than SATA, it will have firewire...

so again, which would be faster... :confused:

IDE + firewire

or

SATA + usb 2

8. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I believe OWC has THIS one with Firewire. This should work.

~e

9. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

IDE is faster than USB. Therefore IDE + firewire will be fastest.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

But that one is expensive and uses 2.5" drives which are more expensive and smaller (in physical size and capacity).

11. colorspace macrumors 6502

After trying many enclosures (USB 2.0, and FW with IDE and SATA drives) I would still stand by my above endorsement. The design is great, drives are kept cool (very important), they are fast, and all of the extra FW and USB ports are FANTASTIC.

my 0.02.

12. zami macrumors regular

Having tried the LaCie equivlent of Colorspace's recommendation and the cheap fanless alternative without doubt the latter does it for me.

If one is using a laptop or a macMini the last thing one wants is all that awful cheap fan noise. I removed the drive from the LaCie binned the enclosure and bought this: http://www.microanvika.co.uk/computing/product.asp?PNO=NAN19305

IRL it looks OK and at last there is no more fan noise AND believe it or not it is even slightly faster according to XBench, why who knows?