Recommend me an external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fugue, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I'm going off to college soon, so I'm in the market for something to store my movies/music/data in. My 2011 MBP only has a 96 GB SSD so that may not be enough for the future.

Here's what I'm looking for in the external HDD. I want it to be accessible wirelessly so that I could stream music and movies from it. I want it to have fast transfer speeds. Compatible with Macs. And most importantly, cheap.

Currently I have a WD My Book (2TB) that was gifted and set up for me about 3 years ago and it works fine, albeit slowly. I can connect my MBP to it wirelessly, while my PC desktop is connected through USB with it. It's staying at home, which is why I am looking for something better and newer.

Anything from 1 - 2 TB is fine for me; if it's a good deal I don't mind spending a bit extra. If it's thunderbolt friendly, that's a plus.

Any recommendations would be great. Links too please!

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Your best bet would be to just get any old USB/Thunderbolt hard drive, and hook it up to your router.

Although, a Time Capsule might work also, but it's expensive.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Like buying PCs, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between brands, I don't think.