All iPads Recommend me an Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vim147, Nov 21, 2013.

1. vim147 macrumors regular

Am new to tablets, Dont really want to spend the money for the new Ipad Air's.

I'd just be a casual user, abit of browsing, Youtube, Movies/TV Shows, Angry birds etc.

I'll probably want 32GB, FaceTime, Wifi (not bothered about cellular)

I want to buy a used one, as cheap as possible as theres no certainty i'd keep it for long.

Which version/year Ipad should i buy ?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. RickTaylor, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Do you really need 32 GB? That would make a difference to the cost.

If you want a faster Ipad with the beautiful larger high resolution retina display, and will use it mostly at home, or don't mind carrying it in a briefcase or backpack, then the refurbished Ipad 4 is a fantastic deal, refurbished at $380 for the 16 gb model, $450 for the 32 gb model. Apple's refurbished models come with the same warranty as the new models.

The older Ipad Mini is much smaller and the screen is nowhere near as nice as the ipad 4, but I'd recommend it if portability is a high priority for you, or if you want the cheapest available device. The Ipad Mini fits in my jacket pocket and goes everywhere with me. I love it for that reason, despite the compromises to screen size size, resolution, and speed. The old ipad mini model is still available for $300 for the 16 GB model, $400 for the 32 GB model.

Edit: Just to add, if you want the cheapest possible device, but still prefer a large screen, the Ipad 2 is available refurbished, $320 for 16gb and $400 for 32gb. It's screen quality and speed are very similar to that of the classic mini.

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Looks like you know what specs you want, so really just decide how much you are willing to spend and if a warranty is important to you or not. And then search for one in that price range.

You can get by with an iPad 2, since it has FaceTime. So really any iPad except the first gen one.

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You answered your own question. Now, go get the iPad you want that's already in your mind and be happy. :cool:

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Honestly, sounds like you'd do fine w/ a 16gb WiFi Retina mini. Buy, try. You have till Jan to return. I can't recommend the 3 or 4 b/c they are on the heavy side. The 2 doesn't have Retina. If $ is really at issue try a Kindle HD.

7. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

16GB would be too small as i'd wanna travel with the pad and have enough movies/tv shows on it plus the usual apps/pics etc
    The screen size of the mini is too small for me to watch movies.

I like the new Airs but just cant justify the expense of it thats why am looking to
    get the cheapest/useable option as i might get rid of it in a few months.

I need Facetime so apple is the only option otherwise i'd probably have
    gone for a samsung.

Just need to decide if Pad2 is sufficient or spend extra for Pad4.

8. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

If you want to watch HD, there's no way an iPad 2 will be good enough.

That being said, SD video still looks nice on an iPad 2.

9. RickTaylor, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Just to add, it looks like the iPad 2 is available refurbished from Apple for $400. I think the iPad 4 refurbished is a better deal.

Bear in mind, Ipads tend to do well on the used market, and you should be able to get a portion of your investment back when you're done with it.

(Edit: that's an Ipad 2 with 32 GB)