Recommend me some cloud storage!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethryn Freyman, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

First up, I've Googled, and haven't really found anything suitable.

I need about 1GB of cloud storage to use as a backup. I don't want any kind of syncing, I simply want somewhere I can backup a few important files. Dropbox is out of the question since it's all about syncing, I don't want to have to maintain copies of my files etc in a separate folder. I also would prefer simple FTP access, I don't want to go download some crappy third party propriety program to upload and manage files.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any web hosting provider offers ftp access to your files.

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Plain ol' FTP is insecure and isn't used much anymore. Web hosting does still use it. I wonder if you will have a hard time finding a third party offering just an ftp.

Are you a student or an alumni at a university of some kind? Colleges often offer webspace.

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

I think your understanding of Dropbox is waaaaaaaaaay off base. Far from "just about synching", far from "having to maintain files in seperate folders" since you can actually put the files on Dropbox and not have them sync locally OR have a link to an existing folder that will automatically send any new files or changes to existing files you select go to Dropbox...for example, I link my Documents Folder to Dropbox, whenever I add a new file or edit a file, those changes go to Dropbox, yet I continue to use my same existing folder structure (oh and this is optional, I could just open the Dropbox website and upload files if I want) and the software they give you is not only fantastic, it is OPTIONAL! Oh and Dropbox gives you 2gb of free crappy software, synching, file structured storage for free. Just saying, maybe you want to check them out a bit more.