Recommend me some glasses?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JW8725, Jun 23, 2007.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hi I'm in the market for a semi-rimless or rimless design. Can anyone recommend me some glasses to check out? Here is one that tickled my fancy:

[​IMG]

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Depends on your face, really does.

I have these, from Boots.

[​IMG]

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Dolce & Gabbana do some real nice semi rimless. I have a pair of DG855 in brown and tortoise shell:

[​IMG]

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

heh i'd be surprised if they even sold my frames anymore... I've had the same set for about 6 years now I think...

But I think those Oakleys look very nice :)

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It's very hard to recommend glasses when you cannot see a person's face or how the glasses actually look on you. They can be the greatest shape but sometimes glasses just won't sit right on one's face... sort of annoying :eek:

6. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

Here are my personal favorite!

But, as someone else mentioned, it really depends on the shape of your face!

Attached Files:

• DG.jpg
      DG.jpg
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  7. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think I'm the worst googler in the world. :eek:

I just got new "frames" in the last month or so and they're made by the manufacturer, Silhouette. They're rimless, incredibly light, and sooo customizable (as in you can pick the er, long pieces and the nose bridge all separately if you so desired, in sooo many finishes and materials).

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

10. nicque macrumors regular

oakley double down 2.0 or 4.0's.

also they can make there sunglassess into reg. glasses if you want them too.

11. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey come to think of it, anyone know what exactly Steve Jobs supports?:confused: :confused:

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I wear a pair of frameless Revo sunglasses that are great.

13. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

Depends on how much you want to spend. Defintely spend the money and go for the quality. Sihlouette are really nice (I've had a pair for years) that are available in metal or plastic stylings. You can also get sunglass clips that match the lens shape you choose. But if you want funky, try Harry Lary's (www.harrylarys.com) Lindberg (www.lindberg.com). The latter can be customized ton of different and cool ways. I have all these (and more), but people always notice and comment on my funkier pairs.

14. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Mine are Oakleys exactly like what you posted, but fully frameless. I like them a lot.

15. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I have the same shape glasses.

I went from Armani to Rayban finally settling on Hugo Boss. Go to your optomitrist. They usually get the glasses pretty cheap and have tons of options

16. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Definitely go to your eye doctor of lens crafters, etc. Even if you see a frame you like online, they might not have it instock in the store. And just try them on, some pairs (even within brands) fit better to one's face than others.

I have some Ray Bans half rim less like the oakley's in the first post. I bought them because they were titanium frames and on top of half rimless, felt totally weightless on my face.

But there are disadvantages to getting rimless or semi rimless. You have to purchase thinner lenses, not just for appearance sake either. They're less stable with fat lenses. I had a pair of completely rimless glasses from Calvin Klein that ultimately broke, in part because I was cheap.

They're also more delicate.

And after 4 years of wearing rimless glasses, I've actually switched to plastic Pradas (as of today). And these don't have nose pads. It just feels really comfortable on my face.

They also look better on my face. :)

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

those look a lot like my glasses. Minus for the fact my glasses are single bar across the nose instead of 2.

The oakley frames are really good and they are very comfortable to wear. Only problem I had was when I first started wearing them the back of the ear piece took some getting used to and it was little sore for a few days

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You do know that the lens thickness is very depended on how bad your eyes are. I wear only half rimmed frames and the lens are the same thickness as they are in my older full rim glasses and my eyes are on the bad side. I have -3 and -3.25 for my script.

My suggestion when picking out glasses is pick out what looks good on you because you will be wearing them a lot. I wear ones that rectangular shape because that is what looks best on my face. When I pick out the frames I had a good size stack around me looking at them. Then the nurses helped me out and they told me which ones look the best on me. Always trust the advice of 2 females over my own :p.

I like my half rim frames.