Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
what the title said. And tell me why. i mostly use my mbp for surfing the interweb and creating music. go!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Music

Garage band Or Amplitube (Amplitube is for serious work, and so cost's a bit more)

Aperture for moderate photo work, Final Cut Pro (as it say's for pro work)

When you say music, do you mean listening to, or writing?:)

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Reeder for RSS, even if you don't use an RSS feed reader now, if you read the same websites regularly, you may as well.

Total finder, finder with tabs and some extra features but the most important thing is that it retains the general interface of finder. I don't know about you but I use finder a lot so even the smallest of things help.

Sparrow, just a very good email client.

Coversutra, if you create music, I'm guessing you listen to a lot as well. I find the search feature to be very useful and better than Bowtie's (free) for my usage style.

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
Another vote here for Reeder. Simply the best RSS app for OS X as well as iOS.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
What kind of music creation?

Propellerhead's Reason 5 + Record 1.5 is fabulous, and about to be updated for even more usefulness.

Pro Tools 9 is wonderful but does not work on Lion yet.

suedehead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
i mostly make indie music (a mix of shoegazer & post-rock w/ some jingle jangle whatever), but i'm also considering going a bit more electronic. it's all on an amateur base.
for creating music i'm leaning towards ableton. i have friends who use it so advice or finding solutions will be a bit easier. i hope.

what's the difference between the garage band version you can get at the apple store and the one that comes with the mbp?

if anyone has suggestions for apps for everyday use? i haven't looked at all the suggestions yet. i'll do that tonight.

but yeah, thanx guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.