Recommend me: Which pens and pencils do you like?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Rotring set! Very good smear free and excellent quality.

3. skrutzen macrumors regular

Absolutely! I have the 600 series Old version of the the pencil as well as the newer version and I have the 600 Series Rollerball (newer version as well). The new versions are in "Lava" finish and the old pencil is in silver. Both pencils I have are 0.7mm. The pens and pencils are heavy and feel great in the hand. Great industrial design too! These are made from machined aluminum.

Unfortunately, these are hard to come by in the states as Rotring no longer distributes to the U.S. Ebay is your best friend for these.

Also, if you want an inexpensive fountain pen, I own the Conklin Victory set. Writes really well. Ballpoint pen and Fountain pen come in a set and can be found for less than $50.

4. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

5. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

These are my favorite pencils in order:

Pentel Sharp Kerry (.7)
    Staedtler 925 (.7)
    Pentel Twist-Erase (.9)
    Staedtler Remedy 9 (.9)
    Pentel Sharp (.7)

I used to use cheap ones but they last about 2 seconds and these last forever if you take care of them... I prefer .7 or .9 lead because I write too hard for .5... Pentel Sharps and Sharp Kerry's have small erasers but I carry a Magic Rub or Staedtler Mars eraser that I mainly use...

Pens:
    Livescribe Pulse (great for taking notes!)
    Parker Jotter

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I like the way Graf von Faber-Castell pens look. I don't really care how they write because they all the same to me anyway. :eek: I was going to get a Mont Blanc for graduation because they're famous and look OK, but I got a watch instead. No expensive pens for me. ;)

Oh, and my absolute favourite is the 4-colour Bic pen. When I make notes, the extra colours really come in useful. Also, the pen itself has a wide diameter, so it's easier to hold. They're irreplaceable....until I buy a new batch.

7. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

I kick it old school rockin the feather and ink.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

9. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I use a medium nib Mont Blanc 164 fountain pen ( now called the Meisterstuck I believe) I have had for almost thirty years. I have the matching pencil in .7mm and it too is gaing on the thirty year mark. They both are in my pocket every day as they have been since I graduated college and received the pen as a gift. My wife gave the pencil about two months later. Buy quality, take proper care of it and you choice should last you a life time.

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The one thats in my pocket.

All this pen hoohaa is nonsense, some good Biro's will last you weeks.

11. gocardsfan1 macrumors member

I really like the Paper Mate Syncro, but it is hard to find in stores. It is 0.7 lead, has a twist-up eraser, and a very professional look and feel to it. Fantastic build quality too, I have been using mine in school for the past 2 years. It writes extremely smooth as well.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Staedtler Liquid Point 7 .3mm tip is the only thing that can keep up.

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I really wish I could afford one. They look awesome and from what I've used their quality is even better.

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Doesn't anyone use Cross pens anymore? I got a set for High School graduation about 28 years ago, and I have been using their pens for work ever since. I used to use their pencil too, but I find I don't use a pencil much any more.

I went from the Stainless, to the 10K gold, to the Black ones, which is what I have now...

15. djkny macrumors 6502

Micron .35mm pens -- blueblack, burgundy.
    The BEST pen for use in your handy Moleskine, too.

Also -- le pens, and, for general note taking, Pilot VBALL Extra Fines. Can't beat those either.

16. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

17. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow! Thanks for bringing that brand up! I never heard of them, but their pens look really nice for a good price! Now to convince myself that I need a new pen :p

18. SecondDealer macrumors regular

19. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I use a Staedtler 980 2mm lead holder for roughs.

Then I use a VERY old Pentel side-click .05 mechanical pencil for refining and backgrounds.

When I have to ink my own pages, I use Copic Multiliners.

When I do convention sketches, I'll use Copic markers as well.

20. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Pen, pen, I don't know, does not compute, what is a pen?

21. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I used to have one when i was in Uni but then upgraded to a Mont Blanc :p

22. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I use the bics which are see-through. Beautiful pens, slide across the paper well and last quite long. They don't smear (most of the times) and they don't leak. They are just as awesome as bic lighters!

23. Norco macrumors regular

That's what she said.

24. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I cant believe nobody has mentioned the Pilot G2. Heavenly for such a cheap pen!

25. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I love the Parker Jotter for general writing.

The Parker Sanford IM is probably the nicest pen I've ever owned, mainly because it weighs so much. (seriously makes a loud bang every time I put it down)

I also have a Pentel Trio pen/pencil/stylus (who needs that anymore :rolleyes:;)) that I use mainly because it's convenient when switching between pen and pencil.

Parker and Cross are probably my 2 favorite brands, but I have a few other pens that were given to me as gifts that are really nice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what type they are.

I also love Mont Blanc for fountain pens, but I generally prefer a ball point for writing because it doesn't leave so much ink on the page.