Recommend new 3store wifi dongle

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richardmu, Jul 13, 2010.

1. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I bought the new 3store one-touch wifi dongle to use with my wifi only iPad and touch. 70 pounds with 3gb valid for 3 months.
    Highly recommended.

2. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

+1

I have the "old" one but still recommended. I paid £50 with no data preloaded and it's good. Better IMHO than paying £100 for the 3G iPad. Already used it with my laptop and my daughters iPod Touch.

- D

Don't want to come across as an a*se but it's a MiFi!!

3. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

I'm about to get this
    whats the battery life like on the Mi-Fi?

4. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I get between 3 and 4 hours with mine.

The downside to mine is that when it's charging you can't use it.

I had read somewhere there was a firmware update coming which could sort this but it's MIA so far!

- D

5. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Yeah just don't forget to take it everywhere with you when you go out with your pad!

How annoying if you forgot it or didn't charge it,

Better just buying the 3G version.

6. page3 macrumors 6502

No O2 reception here, but typing this on my iPad using an old style 3 MiFi (with updated firmware). Getting 2.2mbps and I'm in a (converted) barn, in the middle of a field, miles from anywhere. Lovely! :)

7. apkent macrumors newbie

Since when? Mine is pretty much constantly plugged into the mains whilst in use.

Plus when it's not on charge I can just about get a full day out of it! (8 hours)

8. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Should have been more specific - I meant you can't use it while it's connected to the computer by its USB port. On the mains it works.

I certainly don't get anywhere near 8 hours.

- D

9. Silken macrumors member

thinking of grabbing one of these to use with my wifi ipad during my commute into uni. Will probably give it a few months first.

10. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

On a loosely related point, when 3 released the new MIFI unit I thought I'd read somewhere they were releasing a firmware update that enabled the web interface for the old version, like I have.

Has anybody by chance found this because I can't.

All Google seems to bring up is how to (potentially) unlock it.

Three's website is typical of most Telco's and almost impossible to navigate!

Thanks in advance

- D

11. afd macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried unlocking one of these and putting in an o2 £5 a month rolling contract sim? Would O2 notice? Or care? I know they did notice and care when I put a PAYG iPhone SIM into a SE K800 and use it as a modem.

12. AM94 macrumors member

AM94

the pay as you go MiFi means you don't have the hassle of a contract. For someone like myself, who uses the iPad primarily where wifi is available (office/home/client site), the MiFi is the perfect solution when you can't access wireless.

13. Capt T macrumors 6502a

But then you can only use it with the iPad, as opposed to using it with your laptop or other wifi device, in addition to letting a family member, friend, or business associate share it as well.

And I have a spare battery for mine, just in case.

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I have the new version of this, and it is absolutely fantastic. We recently moved into a new area, that is 4 miles away from the nearest exchange so home broadband (ADSL) is a nightmare, with speeds of under 0.75MB at it's best. There is no cable in our area either, so Virgin isn't an option.

I turned my attention to mobile broadband. I tried a 3 sim in my iPhone 4, and ran a speed test - at home I was getting about 3MB! Result!

So, I went for it, and bought the MIFI 15GB at £20 per month on an 18 month contract. I'm glad I did. I average about 4.5MB at home with this and between 2-3MB in and around Glasgow, where I use my iPad.

I couldn't be happier with it. Home and mobile broadband for £20 a month is a good deal to me.

15. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Question: I have a 10Gb/month 3mobile microsim for my iPad. Can I use this with a third-party Mifi?

I don't particularly want to jailbreak the iPad to allow me to use Mywi...

16. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Do you mean the old version? I leave the new (black) one plugged into my MBP all day via USB (switched on) and never plug it into the mains.

17. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Yes, it is the old one - the silver/grey one!

- D

18. THFourteen macrumors 6502a

THFourteen

My old one seems to be broken /o\

It switches on fine, and wifi, signal bar and battery light up fine

but the M led flashes slow blue, when i hold down the connect button, it flashes rapid green, and then goes back to slow blue, as if it cant connect.

phoned the 3 helpline and they made me do a system reset but no joy :(

phoned 3 again just now and they are sending me a replacement dongle. nice service actually

19. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

+1. Absolutely love mine. Had a 1 hour train journey to London from the Midlands last week, and didn't lose the 3G connection once.

20. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502