Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spartan2381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
I pulled out my old iBook Clamshell G3 running 9.2.2 and wanted to see what everyone's recommend software list is for these machines. I'm not looking to run OS X and want to keep this Classic Mac OS.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I pulled out my old iBook Clamshell G3 running 9.2.2 and wanted to see what everyone considers essential software these days for these machines. I'm not looking to run OS X and want to keep this Classic Mac OS.
The essential software is the software that you need to use the computer as you want to use it. ?

Your main problem will probably be to find a decent web browser that support whatever websites you think of as essential to you.

spartan2381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
The essential software is the software that you need to use the computer as you want to use it. ?

Your main problem will probably be to find a decent web browser that support whatever websites you think of as essential to you.
I understand that. I was curious to see what you guess are running for email, word processing, graphics viewer, etc. I know there is usually a go to list of programs people gravitate towards. I'm using Classilla for web browser and surprised at how well it works.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I understand that. I was curious to see what you guess are running for email, word processing, graphics viewer, etc. I know there is usually a go to list of programs people gravitate towards. I'm using Classilla for web browser and surprised at how well it works.
Well, there's GraphicConverter and MacSOUP. :)

Didn't Classilla die a long time ago?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I pulled out my old iBook Clamshell G3 running 9.2.2 and wanted to see what everyone's recommend software list is for these machines. I'm not looking to run OS X and want to keep this Classic Mac OS.
Are you a graphic designer?

I can recommend a long list of graphic design apps if you're a graphic designer. One of my jobs in the early 00s used G4s running OS9 so I'm familiar with them.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Email: Outlook Express, Outlook (if you can find a copy). Eudora, or go old-school and use Netscape or Opera with their mail features.

Word Processing: Microsoft Word

Graphics viewer (just a viewer?): Adobe Photoshop 5, 5.5 or 6.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

spartan2381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017

I can recommend a long list of graphic design apps if you're a graphic designer. One of my jobs in the early 00s used G4s running OS9 so I'm familiar with them.
That would be very much appreciated! It really irks me that Adobe has gone the subscription route. Its one of the reason I use Corel now but that's another story.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you ?
No problem.

Here's a tearhseet of work I had done as of 2003. All in OS9. I'm attaching it because it shows some of the apps I used.

tearsheet.jpg

Attachments

• tearsheet.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 123

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021

I am a graphic designer! Well, an UI/UX designer nowadays. I‘m also a frontend web designer, but this is a role I want to leave behind, in the past.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have similar questions as the OP. I am looking for an email client to use with my old @hotmail.com account that still works on office365. I know Mulberry and Classilla mail counterpart works, but I didn’t like Mulberry at all and Classila does not give me a way to put a desktop icon to open the mail directly. I’d like to find a way to use Outlook Express with that email account.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Very nice. Never used OS 9 with these apps, by the time I got into it I was on OS X.
I got started right around the time of the first beige G3s. My first work Mac was a PowerPC something. I never bothered to look up the model of Mac because until 2003 I was solidly a PC user for my own self and didn't care about what I was using at work.

But I can recall the excitement of when the first B&W G3s delivered at work. I didn't get one because I was the newbie at the time. However, when I volunteered to work at a satellite office I got to pick which G4 I wanted. I ended up choosing the Graphic Designer's G4 so they had to honor my choice. I was simply an ad designer at the time.

When I got my first job here in Phoenix, the company (the one in the tearsheet) had G4s. Nobody was on OS X at the time (2000). I didn't shift to OS X for my actual job until mid to late 2004 when I took on my next job (which I worked 14.5 years at).

So, from 1999 to 2004 I was solidly on OS 8/9. And those were the apps for that system that I used.

For the record, I'd never go back unless circumstance forced me to. I ditched OS9 as fast as I could. Great as it may have been (and that's arguable), OS9 had lots of issues with graphic apps. But one particular app, (Adobe Type Manager Deluxe) I have a specific hatred for. That POS app caused a lot of time and aggravation and forced a physical visit to our printer because it's garbage processing was bringing down the printer's Mac whenever the Optima font was used.

That turned out to be his fault because he didn't understand how ATM Deluxe worked, but it is still a POS app.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
For Microsoft Word, I recommend Word 98. For graphic design stuff, I'm not a professional, I just dabble in it, but on my G3s I have used Photoshop 5.5 and I like it. I prefer Photoshop 7, but I find 7 rather slow on a G3, so I would recommend 5.5 over 7 for a G3.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
It will work even better as we are working on making it better - yes, CLASSILA is not abandoned or forgotten by Kaiser, he is allowing myself and many others to work on it, so it will allow you to access all websites without ads and script.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Email: Outlook Express, Outlook (if you can find a copy). Eudora, or go old-school and use Netscape or Opera with their mail features.

Word Processing: Microsoft Word

Graphics viewer (just a viewer?): Adobe Photoshop 5, 5.5 or 6.
OUTLOOK EXPRESS DOES NOT WORK.... Unless, i am doing something wrong, and I have gmail set up as imap using less protective apps, it should work, but it is not.. what parameters do you have in your outlook express ?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I am a graphic designer! Well, an UI/UX designer nowadays. I‘m also a frontend web designer, but this is a role I want to leave behind, in the past.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have similar questions as the OP. I am looking for an email client to use with my old @hotmail.com account that still works on office365. I know Mulberry and Classilla mail counterpart works, but I didn’t like Mulberry at all and Classila does not give me a way to put a desktop icon to open the mail directly. I’d like to find a way to use Outlook Express with that email account.
OUTLOOK EXPRESS will not WORK.. I have tried many times getting it to work with imap google gmail and it does not work - probbably because it lacks the correct protocols.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
For Microsoft Word, I recommend Word 98. For graphic design stuff, I'm not a professional, I just dabble in it, but on my G3s I have used Photoshop 5.5 and I like it. I prefer Photoshop 7, but I find 7 rather slow on a G3, so I would recommend 5.5 over 7 for a G3.
Try Office 2001 - I use it on OS 9 and it works great !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.