Recommend some software please?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikermalli, Dec 6, 2008.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

My dad took me out to go desk shopping today and surprised me by taking me to my local futureshop and he inquired about the macs, he is going to be buying one in a month for me. He is going to get the last generation macbook new for 999.99. With a 2.1 GHz processor, and stock everything for that model. What software would you recommend for the Mac? Do they come pre-loaded with iMovie and all that already? I am going to do phot editing, video editing, listen to music, surf the web, mix music, watch dvds, burn dvds, download movies, download music, handle torrents. What programs should I use? I am reallllllyyyy excited for this mac. Also, are any virus protection softwares needed?

2. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

could a moderator please move this topic to the Mac Applications section please? I just noticed that this is not the right section, thank you.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mac Basics and Help is probably fine for this thread.

You can find a lot of recommendations in most of your categories by searching...

But a few brief answers:

1) Yes, iLife (iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand) is pre-installed.

2) For these...

Depending on your photo editing skill level, you may want to look at Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or Pixelmator (all non-free). Or possibly Gimp (free).

Depending on how sophisticated your burning needs are, you might also end up wanting Toast (for some more advanced tasks... kind of similar in concept to Nero, if you used it in Windows).

4. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! Is iPhoto a good photo editor, or is it just a viewer? I don't need anything high-end, just the small things. Is there a way to get nero to work on macs? I have the windows version of Nero (not sure if there is a mac version). Is toast a paid application? I can only get free applications because after my dad spends $900 on the mac, he is not going to be too happy about having to spend more on software lol. Is there any good word processors and things like powerpoint for macs? That can save files to be compatible with windows MS Word? Also, if I am going to take my mac to school, should I get a carrying case? Do they scratch easily? Also how do I maintain battery life on the Mac? Sorry, but this will be my main computer for the next 3-4 years so I really need to take good care of it.

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Scout around on Google with the keywords Freeware Mac. There are hundreds of good applications that are either free, goodwill (donate) or shareware (try b4 you buy).

For example, instead of Toast you can use Popcorn (a sort of little sibling) or Quickburn, or just use the Burn function of Finder or Disk Utility.
    iPhoto will do most of what you want with photos. For a free and very good viewer-only, try Xee.
    TextEdit isn't the greatest word processor on the planet but for straight functionality, it's okay. NeoOffice is getting some good reviews, said to be better than OpenOffice. http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
    Another good, free app to get is OnyX, a utility for maintaining your MacOS in tip-top condition. http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html

A carry case is probably a good idea. Important thing about a laptop battery is to make sure it's fully charged before first use. It's so tempting to put the battery in and start using the computer straight away.

The computers are made to withstand some heavy use and with common sense, you should have no serious problems with keeping it in good physical condition. Just be sure not to scratch the screen, keep finger tips off it. If you're used to using a mouse, you can always connect one of those, and a keyboard, for when you're using the laptop at home. Saves wear and tear on the trackpad and built-in k/board.

6. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

When you say fully charged before first use, do you mean like pop the battery in and the charger in and let it sit there? How long would you recommend me to leave it there because I am going to make an unboxing even though it is old :p

7. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can get Roxio Toast 9 for free with a mac at MacMall and Parallels 4.0 free too is that good?

8. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

The instructions for charging the battery before first use should come with the computer - read the manual! So many people don't, and regret it afterward.

Different batteries have different charging times, depending on their type and capacity. I can't say for sure what your Mac battery will be, but probably lithium-ion.

Re Toast & Parallels. The first is really good, the second is useful if you want to run Windows on your Mac. Forget about Nero if you've got Toast.

9. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, thanks! Yeah, i'll be sure to read the manual... the WHOLE manual or are there parts I can skip which are unimportant, OR are there only a few parts I need to read?

10. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will the last generation MacBook last me for the next 3-4 years? I need it until college

11. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, and about snow leopard, I read that it is coming out Q1 of 2009, if I buy my MacBook with a copy of leopard on it, new and snow leopard comes out a few weeks - months later does apple have any service which they give snow leopard for free, or for a lower price since they released a new OS within a few months of purchase?

12. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

It will last a lot longer than that if you look after it. Don't mess with things that are working well enough. In 3-4 years you can expect to go through two batteries, so do allow for that. Run it on mains power when you can.

Re the manual - check the contents list, and then the first 5 or 6 pages, where most of the important advice and warnings are likely to be. Yes, manuals can be boring and heavy going, but the info therein is important. Here's a heap of information about it even before you've got your Mac!
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?rls=ig&hl=en&q=Macbook+Manual&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Check YouTube and the Mac forums regularly for information and How Tos about your Mac. Clever people post very helpful stuff.

13. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! You're a great help! Re: Snow Leopard, any idea about that? I am going to be reading the manual tonight, for a LOOONG time probably, I want to read up on it so I can convince my dad to order it earler ;)

14. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

If I know Apple, there'll be a strong push for people to 'Buy Now and Save,' so that existing computers with Lpd will sell. Those really wanting to wait until S-Lpd appears before they buy a new computer will pay a premium for doing so.

I don't follow the debate, but what specs will be required for a Mac to run S-Lpd? A lot of people (like me) with older computers have been disappointed by trying to run Lpd on them. That's why I've stayed with Tiger. Read the rumors websites if you want to keep up with developments.

15. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll just stick with leopard, might as well not waste money, right? Do you know of any good youtube channels with mac tips? I am already subscribed to thecreativeone's channel but that is the only mac channel.

16. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Those are some nice programs! My dad said for sure we are getting the Mac when he comes back (Dec 28th) from Africa :)

17. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Best answer to that is "maybe". Who knows for sure what S-Lpd is going to be like? The guys at Apple aren't saying, so super-secret!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Macbook&search_type=&aq=f

18. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

As far as I have read is that it will be 64-bit and faster. Also, thank you for the link, I read the user manual, it didn't seem to have too much valuable information in it that doesn't come to mind when you're using common sense lol

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I make YouTube videos about Macs. Sometimes there are App reviews (for iPod/iPhone too!), tips, tricks, etc. Just check out my channel (link in my signature)!

20. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, I just subscribed! I will check out some videos soon.