Recommend USB 3/ Thunderbolt SSD Enclosures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rjbenson83, Sep 4, 2014.

1. rjbenson83 macrumors regular

An enclosure seems to be the most cost effective option for an SSD, any enclosures you guys recommend?

2. henryseiden macrumors member

henryseiden

Unsupported (by Apple) enclosures have a certain appeal. But I would rather wait for a supported solution and not upgrade until there is one. My preference (what I have on hand) is SATA III SSD's so I'm stuck waiting for that product. Akitio and OWC (MacSales) seem to be the only ones in the offing (promise ware). The other boxes (docks with breakouts, single drive units, etc. listed as made for Windows) are merely propagating the fiction that is Thunderbolt 3, at least on the Mac side, right now.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Thanks Fishrrman - Indeed, the price is odd for the old version. Noted the new one is 3.1 Gen2 and with 2 cables! Sold. Just shopping for one today. Glad I checked in here ;)

My old case has the crappy mini connector. Just doesn't hold up. Hoped I could find one with an A connector, but a C connector beats em all.

5. thedeske, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

thedeske macrumors 6502a

Another shout out to fishrrman - the Oxyn 3.1 arrived today and it's a fine case.
    I have a backup C to A cable on the way, but the included cable seems to be good quality.