recommend zip/unzip program for new Mac user?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by basement zombie, May 30, 2009.

1. basement zombie macrumors member

Hi all,

New Mac user here (these forums helped me make a great, informed choice of my refurbished 2.66ghz iMac), and while the learning curve is significant, I'm loving it, and already realize its just what I've wanted in a computer experience all these years. :)

I talked with someone recently who recommended I download Stuffit for zip/unzip purposes. I did a search here on the forums and noticed quite a few people expressing frustration with it, and suggestions of multiple programs for different people. I'm a very 'basic user.' I'd rather have one program that I go-to and use for these purposes.

What free zip/unzip program do you recommend?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OSX should compress and uncompress most things on the fly for you without Stuffit

Right click a file (or control-click) and select: compress 'flle_name'
    Double clicking most .zip files should uncompress them as well

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. basement zombie thread starter macrumors member

Well heck...what's the point in downloading a 3rd party app, then?
    I must be missing something here - are the 3rd party apps much more useful in some way(s)?

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The main use of third party apps is for more obscure archive formats like .sit and .rar; OSX will handle .zip/.tar/.gr/.tgz/.bz/.tbz just fine.

5. basement zombie thread starter macrumors member

It sounds like the Mac standard zip/unzip feature will work just fine for my use. If I run into a situation where its not enough, I'll check out the Unarchiver.

Thanks, folks!

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The Unarchvier is good, but Stuffit Expander supports the most formats, and can work with password protected archives.