Recommendation for a Keyboard w/o 10 keys??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by keowee, Sep 28, 2008.

1. keowee macrumors member

I need a keyboard w/o 10 keys so that I may place my trackball closer to the keyboard (to prevent recurring mustle pain). Apple Wireless Keyboard Kit (MB167LL/A, $79) is one, but are there any other options/recommendations? Is there a cheaper PC keyboard that is compatible with Mac?

Also, if I were to buy an Apple Wireless Keyboard, how wise is it to get one on eBay? Are there fake ones out there? How does its warranty work?

Thank you for your help!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

3. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

If you're having RSI-related muscle pain, it may be worth investing in an ergonomic keyboard if you spend much of your day typing. I've been using a Kinesis Contoured keyboard for over 3 years and it has been one of the best investments I've ever made, period. For me, having the Backspace key moved to my left thumb has made all the difference. Kinesis makes other more affordable keyboards nowadays, but they're worth checking out. There are other brands people swear by as well, so a little research now might reap some benefits down the line.

P.S. If you use your own computer for most or all of your computing... it also might be worth switching your keyboard to the Dvorak layout if you haven't already. Much comfier and saner layout of the alphabet.