Recommendation for all-in-one laser printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tech4all, Nov 23, 2013.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Can anyone recommend any good all-in-one printers? Needs to print, scan, and copy. Fax isn't necessary, but is ok to have it. I've read where some have issues with scanning not working with OS X. So if anyone has an all-in-one laser printer that has all functions working with their Mac, I'd appreciated if you'd share what you have!

OS X Snow Leopard and later probably Mavericks (and Windows 7).

Thanks! :)

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

A couple of years ago, I was reading up on this very topic and found most problems were happening when attached via network or wireless. I also found each unit for the most part had mixed reviews which suggests they are both environment and user sensitive.

Minolta, Canon, Brother and HP seemed to fair the best last I recall. What I might suggest is that you do some investigation and read some user reviews from say - Amazon, PC mag, and a few others to get a ballpark on laser 4 in 1 and 3 in 1. You also didn't mention if you needed b/w or colour. 4 in 1 units are more common than 3 in 1 and thus you will most likely end up with one with fax capabilities. Staples is not a bad place to shop btw for local purchase and do check their in house warranties carefully. Some are very good and some are just throwing money away.

3. pastrychef, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have a Samsung CLX-3175Fn that I have been using for several years (since at least Mac OS X 10.7 to 10.9 Mavericks) with no issues at all. I do not scan often and have only done it a few times but it worked fine. Prints are crisp and clear, however, don't bother trying to print photos, they don't come out nearly as nice as a good inkjet.

Although this particular model has been discontinued, I have no reason to believe it's replacement, the CLX-3185, isn't at least as reliable. As a reference, I purchased mine for $200 during a sale.

4. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thank you both for your suggestions. :)

Opps, thought I put that! Black and white would suffice. I have an inkjet for photos.

5. jmiddel macrumors member

I use Brother all in ones, reliable and easy to use.

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Brother has a good history of supporting OSX. They have never let me down.

7. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thank you both for your responses. I'll definitely be giving Brother a look.

8. lfeagan macrumors newbie

lfeagan

Another Happy Brother User

I have a Brother MFC-8890DW (B+W multi-function, discontinued) and a Brother MFC-8950DWT (also B+W multi-function, still sold). Both have worked out of the box with every version of Mac OS X from Snow Leopard through Mavericks without needing to download any drivers from the manufacturer to print or scan. I haven't had any repairs with either and have had the 8890 for over 3 years.

9. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I second buying a Brother, if B&W is OK. Not for photos though. But a B&W laser is great if you have to pump out lots of pages.

On that note, DO buy a commercial vs. consumer laser. Commercial lasers cost a few dollars more, and toner cartridges about 15% more, but they output about 400% more pagers per cartridge. At least, that's my experience. Also, the commercial units do a better job of scanning lots of paper into docs.

I mainly use a B&W as my all in one. But I have a photo printer as week. Everyone in the house uses the B&W for everything, except photos.