recommendation for external mechanical keyboard for mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oldguru, Nov 20, 2013.

1. oldguru macrumors member

I am using Apple wireless keyboard and magic trackpad, however, the membrane keyboard is so so from type experience.

Any recommendation for the mechanical keyboard?
    Cherry does not produce the Mac keyboard, anyone using the Cherry PC keyboard?

HHKB a little bit expensive, also now sure whether the keyboard layout (for example, CTRL key moved to Caps Lock position) will be a nice change for Mac user.

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've heard that Dad Keyboard Professional Model S is available for Mac. Might be worth checking out. Razer produces some Mac specific models, but I don't think there's a Black Widow Mac Model.

Regards
    Raptor

3. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

4. seinman macrumors regular

I use an IBM Model M, which is the best mechanical keyboard in most people's opinions, it seems. I know I love mine. They have not been manufactured since the 90s, which means they use PS/2 ports on most of the ones you come across on eBay. If you use an active PS/2 to USB adapter, it will work on a Mac. The key is to spend the extra money on the active adapter. The passive adapters won't work with that keyboard.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I use my MBP with a custom KMAC (Keyboard Mania Attic Craft) keyboard, similar to the one pictured here. It doesn't have a Windows/Option key so I remapped that function to control and control to caps lock. The thing is built like a tank and feels sublime to type on.

The Das Keyboard, Happy Hacking, and Matias all have designs and functionality specifically tailored to the Mac, but pretty much any standard mechanical keyboard will work. You can use KeyRemap4MacBook if you want to adjust your keyboard beyond the changes you can make within OS X's system preferences.