Recommendation for External Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rickycheung, Nov 4, 2016.

1. rickycheung macrumors newbie

Hi everyone:)
    Please recommend some external monitors for me, thank you!

I am getting the new macbook pro 15'' touch bar,
    and thinking to get an external monitor for graphic design
    Budget is below $800

I know LG is releasing the 4K monitor specially designed for the new macbook pro
    but $700 is only for a 21'' screen
    kind of small for me
    i am looking for a monitor in 27'' or larger size
    (the LG 5K one is good size, but out of my budget).

Please give me some advice, better not just the brand name but particular monitor:)

Thank you guys!
    Wish you have a great weekend!:D

2. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

Well now that same LG screen is around $520... Not my taste though. Too clunky.

3. EnJaNir macrumors member

I recently got two of the Dell UltraSharp U2717D as I have an Early 2013 15" rmbp which is still running strong and when I bring my work notebook home it is more than enough. I think they are fantastic displays at a very good price point.

4. fpenta macrumors member

You can check used Thunderbolt Display or Cinema Display. They are identical except for the ports. Both 2k 27" display with beautiful glossy screen.

5. fs454 macrumors 68000

I'd honestly go with the Dell P2715Q over anything unless you can get the new LG now that the prices have dropped 25%.

It's a beautiful retina-like matte 4K IPS display that takes DisplayPort and it's only $460. Since USB-C supports DP natively as stated in the 2016 MBP specs via Apple, you should be able to grab a USB-C to DisplayPort cable from monoprice to drive it adapter-free.

P2715Q: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-P2715Q-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00PC9HFO8
    USB-C to DisplayPort: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=12908&gclid=CKnjibqKkNACFQ5xfgodPXAA9w

This monitor is leagues ahead of a low-dpi monitor like the Thunderbolt Display. I use one daily for design and video editing and it is an absolute joy.

6. rickycheung thread starter macrumors newbie

wow!! true!! the price changed!

It was still original price when I posted this thread.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    I was thinking about Dell UltraSharp before, but it's hard to pick! Dell UltraSharp has too many models!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    May I ask " low-dpi" is a advantage or disadvantage? It looks like a "low" one?

7. fs454 macrumors 68000

Sorry, low-dpi meaning in layman's terms "non-retina". The Apple Thunderbolt Display is low-dpi meaning that you can see the pixels. The Retina display in a Macbook Pro is high-dpi meaning that the panel is high resolution enough that the pixels are very tiny, making a much crisper, clearer image that looks more like print. It's also easier on your eyes.

The Dell P2715Q falls somewhere in between. It's not as blisteringly high-res as the 5K 27" screens, but at less than half the cost, the image is absolutely stunning when put up next to, say, a Thunderbolt Display or any 27" 2560x1440 display.

8. rickycheung thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh I see! I have a better idea now.

I was thinking about Dell before, especially its UltraSharp series, but they have too many models (like the one you mentioned P2715Q, and another model U2717D #3 EnJanir mentioned).

Yes retina is a perfect experience! sadly apple doesnt produce monitor anymore..

9. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

10. Malzone macrumors newbie

Malzone

I'm also interested in upgrading a 1080p external display to either a 1440p or a 4k one.
    Any suggestion between the 2 resolutions? What about bootcamp and scaling issues?

11. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I have the Thunderbolt display and really miss it since moving to a MacBook m5. It has USB-C but not TB3, so no way to use the TB monitor. I'm upgrading to the 2016 MBP 13" so I can use my TB monitor until I make the jump to 4/5k. The TB monitor is not as bad as it's made out to be. It's actually very nice, but will be blown away by the new announced monitors that are P3 compliant. That's what I want....not just 4 or 5k.

Since this is something you will be looking at A LOT, I wouldn't skimp. With the 25% OFF of the 27" LG on Apple's site, with P3 that matches your new MBP 15", I'd make that happen if possible. If not, I'd get the 4k version and be okay with that for a while. Then later, maybe add the 5k as the main display and keep the 4k as a secondary. Just a thought.

I like 2560x1440 and have used it as a photographer since 2012 when I got my TB monitor. Compared to 1080, it blows those away. You can probably find one for $500 or less used at this point. BUT, for that price, I'd still go with the LG's.

I'm only keeping my TB monitor because I have it, just had the screen replaced under AppleCare (nice and shiny new) and I don't "need" to buy a 4k "right now". The MBP is enough for the time being on the wallet.

12. rickycheung thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes 25% drop is nice, i will consider the LG one.

I am also researching the Dell. But I am a bit confused about the P/S/U and UltraSharp/4K series.

Some of the non-4K monitors are even more expensive than 4K ones, so 4K is not always best?

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

Someone just posted that Apple dropped the price of all the monitors. That 5K LG unit is now
    $975 or so.

14. rickycheung thread starter macrumors newbie

yup ! I saw it! but it wont be shipped out within 5-6 weeks though.

15. jerryk macrumors 68030

Time frame is definitely not ideal. But for the money it is seems like a good value. You always hate to be wondering, how much better would this look on a 5K?

16. rickycheung thread starter macrumors newbie

thats true, I even havent tried any 4K screen so far.

17. EnJaNir macrumors member

Two reasons why I went with the infinity edge dells vs 4K models
    1: my early 2013 15" rmbp doesn't support 4K
    2: 4K on windows is terrible. My work notebook is windows 7.

End of the day, yes a 4K or 5k would have been nice but honestly given my hardware and usage scenario I'm happy with what I chose.

18. cube macrumors G5

My 2011 MBP outputs 4K@30Hz natively. 4K@60Hz with eGPU.

19. EnJaNir macrumors member

That's interesting...

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP669?locale=en_US
    Graphics and Video Support
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
    • Dual display and video mirroring:
      Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587
    You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with these Mac computers.
    • MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013) and later

20. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I'm a big fan of my 27" Dell 4k displays which are around $500 on Amazon right now. I bought two. Also ordered a pair of USB-C to DisplayPort cables to make plugging them in easier.

Did try one of them on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro but 30hz is just annoyingly unusable.

21. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I'm surprised no one brought up the LD 27UD88-W. Inventory on them is pretty low at a lot of sites, but it's USB-C to USB-C and supports 4K@60 with a couple of USB ports (runs at USB 2.0 speed with 4K running at 60 supposedly) and feeds 60W of power. There is some concern if 60W is sufficient as the native new MBP charger is 87W, but the general consensus is unless your laptop is running full steam for a significant period of time then 60W should be fine.

22. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Wow, that looks pretty great!

23. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

The LG Ultrafine 5K is obviously superior with the higher resolution, 87W of power pass through, and supposedly USB ports running at 3.0 speeds. The downside is it's about $300 more and ships about a month from now. I'm opting for the 27UD88-W for now. The Dells mentioned earlier in this thread have gotten great reviews though but no pass through power. Also, to use the USB ports on the Dell, I'm not sure if you need another cable outside of the display cable too.

24. Romf macrumors regular

Romf

Honestly, at first I found this monitor looks great, but with the USB-2 speeds it's a NOGO.
    Main advantage of having an USB-C monitor with some USB ports is to use it for that - instead of a thunderbolt station for example.
    But with ports at USB2 speeds, it sounds quite unusable - even a simple usb ethernet adapter would be unusable on it.
    In the end you get the charging part, but then I'd rather use a thunderbolt dock and get some real USB3 ports.
    LG Ultrafine 4K has same problem, only the 5K will work with full speed ports.

25. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Yes, I'm running the Dell monitors. You need to plug in a USB cable from the monitor plus the monitor itself. Though all of that can be done through a thunderbolt dock, which is my plan. So it can STILL be done single cable. Obviously the cost of a dock + display is as much as the displays with that functionality; BUT;

1) I have two displays and want them to be identical
    2) The dock adds extra functionality (like an SD card reader) not found on the display.

USB will be bottlenecked by the bandwidth needed to run the display anyway. What do you need full speed I/O for? For me, I need it for an external RAID which I want to connect directly anyway so I get full speed. I want USB ports on the display, but I want them for a keyboard, mouse, Wacom tablet, etc. Still that'll have no problems at USB 2.0 speeds (even though it is in fact USB 3.0). That makes it easy to swap between my desktop PC and MacBook Pro; which share the same setup on the desk. It's still not as elegant as it could be; but essentially I will just unplug the USB cable from the windows PC and plug it into a dock, then plug the dock into my MacBook Pro, along with a second USB-C connection for a RAID array. The displays will be driven off of the dock. Switch inputs on displays, and I'm switched. Not very elegant, but it should work.