Recommendation for FaceTime compatible Webcam for MacMini?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djuarez03, Oct 20, 2010.

1. djuarez03 macrumors regular

Anybody have any good recommendations? I have an iPhone 4 and a Mac Mini, but no webcam. Now that FaceTime has been finally released for the Mac, can anyone recommend me a good FaceTime compatible webcam?

2. TOOFY macrumors regular

Get yourself the old iSight that apple used to sell seperately. I bought mine off of Amazon for about 80$.. I plan on getting the 27inch LED soon so that will no longer be required for me to use. I just tried it tho with FaceTime and it works great.

3. cloudman macrumors newbie

cloudman

One problem with the old external iSight cameras is they use Firewire to connect with the mac. The current mac mini only has usb 2.0 ports, no Firewire ports; so using the external iSight camera is difficult. I don't think a USB to firewire adapter works. I'm looking a couple different USB webcams, and will let you know after I try them out.:)

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I bought the Logitech C310 for my PC friend (it also works fine on the Mac, although the box doesn't say so) and it's great. 720p, much better quality than Apple's built-in iSight.

5. chuxdaddy macrumors member

chuxdaddy

isight

No, the current version of the mac mini has a firewire 800 port. The Isight has a requires firewire 400 port. So all you would have to do is buy an adapter to connect the isight to the mac mini.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Firewire 400 to 800 cable and you're done.

7. Middling macrumors regular

8. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Logitech C910 is confirmed working. Plus its 1080p.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Dont bother with the ancient isight. The logitech quickcam vision pro for mac is good, or maybe one of there newer logitech HD cams if they are mac compatible.

10. jakeacc macrumors regular

I recomend the "Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro for Mac" It's the only Logitech cam that was specifically created with Macs in mind. I own two of them. Image quality is very clear. (due to the high quality Carl Zeiss lens) My favorite feature is the automatic brightness compensation. So if you are in a dimly lit room, the camera automatically brightens up the video so you are more visible. And it has an auto-focus AND a 16:9 image.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-QuickCam-Vision-Pro-Black/dp/B001AOK7KI