Recommendation for ink-jet printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by creativedogmedia, Nov 7, 2011.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I have about had it with the 5 color cartridge +1 b&w printers....it seems like I am replacing one of the cartridges every few weeks and I dont even use it as a photo printer. Looking for something that is wireless, prints fast and does a decent job printing in color (i get all photos printed professionally). By color, the occassional recipe for my wife or some color pages that my kids may print out. I have an HP J6480 in my office and it seems like a different animal that the slightly older HP I have downstairs. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Copy/scan would be nice but no need for a fax.

2. dwag3 macrumors newbie

dwag3

I got the Epson WorkForce 630 with my new MBP in July. Its wireless capabilities are flawless and it can scan to a memory card or to email, which I find very convenient on occasion. It also prints acceptable black and white documents very quickly on the "fast economy" setting, while other printers I have owned had to be set to normal if you wanted to read what you printed. Photo printing is pretty good but I have never used anything but plain paper in this printer so YMMV. The paper tray holds a lot of paper and the automatic document feeder is a nice plus.

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

I typically recommend (and prefer) Canon printers as they offer excellent quality and value for the money that you spend.

Currently I use a Canon PiXMA MP250 which offers print/scan/copy functionality and it works beautifully with Mac OS X, all I needed to do was connect it to my computer and I was ready to start working with it.

4. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Boy do I know how you feel. My canon has 6 stupid cartridges, and I'm about to go crazy if I don't get a new printer soon. It costs almost 100.00 to fill her up with genuine Canon ink. >: |

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is why many people no longer buy refills for their inkjet printers. When the bundled cartridges expire, they toss it and buy a new printer. Back in 2004, I abandoned inkjet printers. I own two Xerox Phaser wax ink printers. Wax ink and laser printers now sell at price points of medium- to high-end inkjet printers of a decade ago. They are incredibly fast, high-quality, dry, reliable, and will print the better part of a case of paper between refills.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Some six years ago I purchased an Dell 3100cn with large capacity toners (only $299 then). I still haven't run out of toner but the cyan is very low, in fact I just ordered a replacement.

I love color laser printers, and will NEVER buy an inkjet again.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yeah, you could get a network color laser printer and put a wireless ethernet bridge on it if it has to be wireless due to location.

You can make a wireless bridge out of an old Linksys WRT54G router ($20 on eBay) flashed with DD-WRT.

8. RMo, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

My recommendation: DON'T DO IT. :)

First, I'd evaluate if you really need color--I print recipes, too, but don't so much care if the ad or picture of the dish is in grayscale. I say this because I recommend a laser printer, and monochrome lasers are significantly cheaper. I know you said color, but since all your photos are done professionally...

(By the way, you might be able to print color documents locally at a reasonable price, too, by the way--it just might not be as convenient.)

If that's not an option, others have suggested color lasers. I can vouch for the Dell 3100cn, which I've used at work and hasn't been too much trouble; at home I just have a Brother DCP-7065DN (and formerly an HL-2140, which is absurdly inexpensive--but I wanted duplexing, networking, and scanning), which is black-and-white only. You needs may vary.

In short, I urge you to reconsider the "inkjet" part, which may or may not also warrant reconsideration of the "color" part. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Also note: if a printer has even an Ethernet connection, it can be effectively wireless if you connect it to your existing wireless network (e.g., via port on wireless router/switch). Even a USB printer can be wireless if you have a router like the AirPort Extreme Base Station with a USB port that supports print serving. I've been warned about flakiness of printers with built-in wireless, but your experience may vary. Just be aware that the printer itself doesn't necessarily need to support it for "wireless" printing to work.

EDIT (again): I notice that the SAMSUNG CLP-325Wr is on sale at NewEgg today for about $126--just sayin'. :)

9. Sammy Cat macrumors member

If your budget can afford it I'd go with a Brother MFC-9970CDW Color Laser. It has it all. Color is not the best, but it gets the job done.

All you print gurus out there, don't forget that when you print laser B&W 99% of the time is going to use all of the colors in addition to the black so that the toners drain equally. Some times you can specify that only black be used though depending on the printer and software.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This may be the reason some manufacturers mix colors, but it is not the primary reason. The primary reason to mix colors in black text is that the added colors produce a deeper richer black. And make no mistake, the additional colors represent only a tiny fraction of the toner used in printed black.

11. darster Suspended

HP Envy 110 e works great. Only two cartridges. One black, and one color.

12. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Yeah, this is the one I have my sights set on.