Recommendation for Mac inkjet or MFD pls.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by craig1410, May 1, 2010.

1. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

My venerable old HP Photosmart P1100 is coming to the end of the road after many years of reliable service so I'm looking for something to replace it. My wife is a primary school teacher and is the main user of the printer, mainly printing colour worksheets and other school related stuff. Yeah I know, the school should provide facilities for this but don't get me started on that... :rolleyes:

So, what I'm looking for is (ideally) a WiFi enabled printer or printer/scanner combo which works well with the various Mac's we have in the household and a couple of Windows machines. Operating costs are very important and I would like it to be quiet like my old HP which just 'whispers' as it prints. I don't like some of the Epson machines which whistle and whine, I think due to the piezo electric printing method. I don't want to spend any more than £250 and I want to be able to do borderless printing (CD/DVD printing not important) and I want photo quality and speed to be good although this is less important than running costs and quietness.

So there you have it - I have seen recommendations for the Canon PIXMA iP4700 but some have complained that it is flimsy.

Note that I would consider a colour laser printer but this may be ruled out by my need for low running costs.

Thanks in advance,
    Craig.
    :)

2. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

I went out and bought a Canon MP560 and so far I am very impressed. Installation on Leopard was done from the CD and Snow Leopard didn't require any drivers as they are included in the OS. Setup of the printer itself was easy.

I got the printer from Argos for £149.99 and got a £10 gift voucher which I spent on a flash drive. Currys were selling it for £139.99 but had no stock and I didn't want to wait to get one online.

Still early days but I think I've made a good purchase. If anyone wants to know anything about the printer then please let me know.