Recommendation for Mac Syncing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sehnsucht77, Dec 6, 2010.

1. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

I have two Maclaptops and I would like to know what is currently the best Mac software available to sync programs AND files. I have heard about Missing Sync but I would like additional info in case there is a better alternative. Thanks!

2. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I have yet to find a good way of doing this at the scale you're interested in. For small amounts of data Dropbox works very well. I'm keen to hear what others have to say.

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

You can use a combination of Carbon Copy Cloner and the freeware Silverkeeper (from http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/) to do that.
    Using an external HD (USB or Firewire), use CCC to make a complete backup of the HD to the external. Then connect that HD to the 2nd computer and run CCC to make them identical. This can be repeated using the incremental settings to refresh the backup HD and 2nd computer, but this is still a rather slow process. I use Silverkeeper to copy my home folder only or even smaller folders and files for fast incremental backups to the external HD, and then to a 2nd computer. This works for me, but setting up Silverkeeper is tricky. The key point is to make sure the "Copy set to folder" box is checked in the option pane of each backup set you make, and also that the depth of the copying of folders is correct so the target folder is refreshed. I.e., Say you are using Silverkeeper to refresh the HD/Library folder on the backup HD: you would select that Library as the Source and the HD (external) as the destination (not the Library on the external, as that would put a Library within the Library!) This sounds tricky, but it is actually just common sense.
    Of course, using the incremental mode of CCC provides the most complete backup, but even it can take some time. Using Silverkeeper is much faster.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I've had good luck using two solutions:

1. DropBox for files I want synchonized on my iMac and MBP and my iPhone.

2. SyncTogether (Google it) This syncs my iMac and MBP on:

a) Bookmarks
    b) Calendars
    c) Calendars
    d) Dashboard Widgets
    e) Dock items
    f) Entourage Notes
    g) Mail Accounts
    h) Mail Accounts Rules, Signatures, etc.
    i) Notes
    j) Preferences

You can customize how frequently it synchronizes and if you want to omit some items you can, for example all I have mine do are a), b), c) g) & h). Been using is for about a year with no major problems and have found their tech support responsive and helpful when I needed it.

5. silentsim macrumors regular

Anything good for Documents instead of DropBox?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Gmail in Mail and add your gmail account to iCal and Address Book then use Dropbox.

7. jake12 macrumors newbie

Color Issue when Syncing Entourage-iCal

Does anyone know where i can find the settings in order to ensure that the color for a calendar does not change when syncing it from Entourage...
    For some reason every time that i sync i need to change the color information for the calendar that is transferred into I-Cal

Thank You

8. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

If you are looking for Files Sync between Hard Disks and Macs I think the best at this time is ChronoSync.

http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html

I have been using it for almost 2 years with great success.