Recommendation for MBP 13 2015 external display.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mm94210, Sep 19, 2017.

1. mm94210 macrumors newbie

Hi

Over the past 3 months I have owned both a MacBook 12 (2017) m3 and a MacBook Pro 2017 (base model) at different times. I started with the pro and eventually moved to the regular MacBook due to the fat that I literally just write on the thing with a few safari tabs open and sometimes and stream Netflix /amazon video etc. I also fell in love with the form factor. The reason I am giving up on them for now is not due to the MacBooks but down to issues I have had with the monitors I have purchased during this time.

For various reasons I am reverting back to a MacBook 2015 (13 inch) and I am trying to decide which display to go for. I am literally going to use it as a monitor for my studies (I am training to be a teacher) and as something to watch movies on.

You guys are probably going to think I am mental even considering reverting back to this option but at the moment I am possibly going to buy a Thunderbolt Display to use with the MacBook. I would be grateful for any other recomendations - ideally I would want it to be 27" and under £500.

Thank you

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

For that budget, LG's 27UD88 seems to be a fairly popular choice. I use one with my 2015 rMB, 2017 MBP and gaming PC. Works great with all three without any cable switching (USB-C for Macs, DisplayPort for PC).

It's UHD "4K" resolution and offers USB-C, so should be good for the next couple of years or so. It's relatively hard to get your hands on one, though.

3. mm94210, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

mm94210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, thanks I'm considering that one actually. Have you ever owned an apple Thunderbolt Display? Do you think I'm an idiot for considering it? I guess if I upgrade the MacBook I would be futureproof with the LG as it has the usb -c as you say. Can I ask where you purchased your one from? Could you also tell me if how you connect your MBP 2015 to it and if it charges it when connected and what kind of settings you use.

Thanks again

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

It's a 2015 MacBook I use - the 'new little 12-inch one' - not a MacBook Pro, so it receives charge via USB-C. My 2017 MacBook Pro receives charge via USB-C too. Unfortunately your 2015 MacBook Pro would not receive charge as it does not have USB-C.

I don't think you're an idiot for considering Apple's own screen for your Apple product. Quite the opposite. I think Apple is the 'idiot' for killing off their displays and replacing them with the awful looking LG UltraFines. LG's own TVs/screens look better than the UltraFine range - it's almost as if someone at Apple intentionally requested poorly designed monitors.

I bought my 27UD88 for £499 from Overclockers UK about a year ago:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...l-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-148-lg.html

Edit: Some people get bored of waiting for availability and settle for the 27UD69. It's almost identical, but misses USB-C. For me, this would be an absolute no-go. I would not buy a display in 2017 that doesn't have a USB-C connectivity option. But that's just me.