Recommendation for monitor stand/riser?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by williamsonrg, Feb 4, 2009.

1. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

So I just bought a 26" LCD HDTV/monitor, and I've started using it with my Macbook. I'm looking for a stand or riser for the display that would allow me to slide my laptop underneath it easily. None of the stores around me have much. Obviously there are a lot online, but it's hard to tell from the pictures which ones are good.

I need something that allows easy access to all of the cables that need to be plugged into my Macbook (DVI, USB, power, etc.), but is still sturdy enough for this relatively heavy (20 pounds?) display. Any recommendations would be most appreciated!

2. enochpeng macrumors regular

Those ones are soooo attractive but have serious heating problem!

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

They are specifically built with heat relief cut away to prevent this problem.

4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I know this probably won't help, it's just a suggestion, but why not just use both at the same time? Laptops tend to have problems with heating when in shell mode. Using both, you get an extra screen where you can keep your side things open (iTunes, messenger...)

5. enochpeng macrumors regular

yes that's what they state on their website, but one of my frd has this and his fan always goes crazy!.... not to blame the product, but i think most computers can't handle heat when lid closed.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Well, there is always going to be a higher running temp when the lid is closed. It won't be anything to do with the stand though.

I do accept that they are not the best when running with the lid closed, but that's not really the issue here.

7. south8212 macrumors 6502

how are you liking that monitor? im thinking of getting the same.

8. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Loving the monitor so far! I just turn the brightness down when I'm doing a lot of text work, and then turn it back up for watching movies from bed (there are presets for that). I know a lot of people end up having to fiddle with the settings to get their TVs to look just right, but I really have no complaints so far!

9. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion! The fan certainly comes on more often when it's in clamshell mode, but then again, that's what the fan is there for--to cool the computer. I'm never doing hours of video editing or anything, so I'm not too worried at the moment.