Recommendation for NAS with Gigabit Ethernet and minimum 1TB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maestrokev, Aug 17, 2007.

1. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Anyone have recommendations on brands, preferably that can work with any hard drive. I was interested in Buffalo LinkStation but it looks like if a RAID drive fails you have to buy their Buffalo HD's.

I also use the new AEBS so assume a NAS with Gigabit Ethernet should be noticeably faster than using the USB2 port on the AEBS?

2. shecky Guest

shecky

not a brand recommendation, but i built my own rather than buying a prebuilt NAS. its pretty easy and you can put exactly what you want in it. i use FreeNAS as my operating system with 4 x 500GB seagate drives in RAID-5 which gives me about 1.2TB of space. over wired gigabit ethernet it is faster than FW400 for transfer speeds. it usually ranges from 30 to 40 MB per second.

3. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Sounds interesting.

What box/enclosure did you use to hold the drives?

4. shecky Guest

shecky

i could have done it for half the price i did it for, but i wanted middle of the road new parts instead of lowend used ones.

-Asus M2NPB-VM motherboard (built-in video, and gigabit LAN)
    -AMD Sempron 64 3000+ processor (cheapest socket AM2 processor i could find on newegg)
    -Corsair 512MB DDR2 RAM
    -Cooler Master Centurion 5 case (cheapest relatively decent looking case with a 120mm back fan and an 80mm fan over the drive cage)
    -Enermax Noisetaker EG45P 430w power supply
    -4 x 500GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA drives

5. Toknee macrumors member

6. Einkoro macrumors newbie

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The only RAIDing NAS I can really recommend on the basis of performance is the Thecus N5200. I have the 4-port gigabit switch versions.

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=32

Just bolt your own drives to the caddies and stick them in. I'm running with 4x 750Gb drives on one and 4 x 500 on another, no operational issues. Feels a bit cheaply made to be honest (especially the caddies) but works.

It's fast - nearly as fast as buying a cheap PC, sticking a decent gigabit card on it and installing Linux or something - and quite convenient. Certainly a lot more convenient than building your own PC, and there are only a couple of faster NAS's on the market. The ReadyNAS NV+ is good too and is broadly in the same performance bracket (although in most cases beaten out by the N5200) but I chose to settle with the N5200 as a better fit for my own use.

It's more hands-off to set up and run than a PC or Mac for sure, and this combined with the performance requirement to match a PC-hosted server is the reason to get these. The downside is that they're not that much less than buying a low-cost PC. But I have servers, and the NAS's fulfil a slightly different - and I'd say a handier - storage requirement.

8. gkein macrumors newbie

I also recommend the Infrant ReadyNAS NV+. I bought the chassis when it came out and have put 4 disks into it -- works great.

Since NetGear bought them it doesn't look like you can do that now and have to buy it with at least a couple of disks (which is a more expensive way to do it).

On my recommendation my brother just bought one last week and his has a NetGear badge over the Infrant badge on the front...

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have (2) LaCie GB NAS Rack Mounts. They are 2 TB each. I like them except when they sit right next to you. Then the fans are too noisy. I would buy them again, except I am moving to an XServe Raid.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

BTW, you can go to smallnetbuilder.com for NAS performance charts. Very informative and quite relevant to real-life experiences. And as you can see not all "Gigabit Ethernet" NAS's live up to their billing - in fact, few do.

11. katorga macrumors regular

What is the noise level like on the Infrant ReadyNAS devices?

Any clue what the Netgear buyout will mean? I have never had a good experience with anything from Netgear.

12. maestrokev thread starter macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Wow, didn't know that, thanks.