recommendation for new monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tirexstorm, Dec 16, 2008.

1. tirexstorm macrumors regular

I am replacing my 24" iMac (white) with the new macbook pro. I want to get a monitor for it that is at least as big as the one I have now, but without paying too much. As long as it is as good as the iMac monitor I will be happy- does not have to be to of the line. What is the cheapest 24+" monitor that will be as good as if not better than the iMac's monitor?

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I am pretty sure 24 inch iMacs have IPS panels. It's pretty hard to find cheap IPS panel displays depending on what you consider cheap.

For example, Dell 2408WFP from dell website is a little over $500.

3. tirexstorm thread starter macrumors regular

So you think the Dell is the cheapest comparable monitor? iMacs seems like a bargain in that case.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

They are :)

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

$500 for an IPS panel is really cheap, usually will run you $600-700. Look at the prices for the Apple Cinema Displays they are all IPS. Apple uses a little better hardware to run the panel from what I heard and of course the cases are much better than plastic.

The advantage of IPS panels are more accurate colors.

Don't buy into the specs given for most Displays. The specs are the max possible for the display if run with the best hardware possible and in most cases don't refer to the performance of the panel as tested in the retail setup. Apple specs represent what the monitor actually can do (as tested with the actual hardware running the panel).

Most IPS panels come from one of a very few companies that make them. High end dells and apple typically use the same panels.