Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I agree. I've been impressed by the Fire. By the time one pays a $50 premium for the Nook AND add an SD card you're close to a $100 price difference. Can't see the advantage.

That is what I am thinking. It felt pretty solid to me. I would never get one for myself, but he will totally freak out I think. This one is from us too, Santa isn't getting the glory on this!! :D

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Excuse me? How about before you get up on your pedastal, you think before you type?

Our kids are two of the most wonderful kids I know. They are in the top of the class in regard to manners, grades, among other things. Our son has ton's of books already that he reads, some many times. He has received the "Good Citizenship" award every year he has been at school. That is for all of K-5.

Yes our kids like technology. You do realize it is everywhere nowadays? They both have their own computer as well. Though, he has to do his "First in Math", "Reading A to Z", among other educational games, before he gets to play his "fun" games. Our daughter has to work on her spelling and counting before she can play any of her fun games.

When I was growing up D&D was going to drive all kids to the devil and suicide...

I guess my parents weren't good parents since they bought me the hard back books of Christmas one year...

I didn't ask for anyone's parenting tips... Just Tablet tips...

I, nor the readers of this thread have no interest in you blowing your children's trumpets for them. My personal opinion is that children under 10 should not have an iPhone. This has nothing to do with me being prudish, I just feel children of that age of below should have their childhood respected. Whether or not they are good performers at school/socially is irrelevant to me. What are you saying? IPhone/iPad makes your kid a better kid?
It is my right to discuss my opinions here freely, try researching spoiled children and they're likihood that they will turn into serial killers or murderers.....

As for your reason for starting this thread, an alternative to an iPad- books.

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I, nor the readers of this thread have no interest in you blowing your children's trumpets for them. My personal opinion is that children under 10 should not have an iPhone. This has nothing to do with me being prudish, I just feel children of that age of below should have their childhood respected. Whether or not they are good performers at school/socially is irrelevant to me. What are you saying? IPhone/iPad makes your kid a better kid?
It is my right to discuss my opinions here freely, try researching spoiled children and they're likihood that they will turn into serial killers or murderers.....

While I appreciate you attempting to speak for every other member of this forum (LOL), you clearly don't. And your opinions on how to raise someone else's children is worth about a grade level below spit.

If you want to give your kids a tablet or laptop or anything to help further their education, interest in computing technologies or other, have at it.

Oh and for the record....there are no clinical studies that correlate "spoiled child" equals "sociopath." You may play a criminologist on TV but that doesn't make you one. "Spoiled" is a highly subjective term, but the most common use is used to define a child that never learns how to solve their own problems, making it difficult for them to solve them in adulthood. This does not equate to "having an iDevice." In fact, depending on normative parent/child relationships, a tablet computing device can enable self-sufficiency in problem solving the same way buying an old paper-based set of encyclopedia's, dictionary and thesaurus used to do. OMG....I used those as a kid as well, does that make me spoiled?

So, care to enlighten us on the study that indicates that giving your child a tablet computing device will turn them into a serial killer? Maybe while you are at it, dispel the myth that Autistic children aren't really benefitting from iPad use and are, according to your alternate reality, training to be serial killers instead?

Please....we are waiting to be illuminated by your vast wisdom on the subject.

The reality is that someone who judges others as "spoiling" their kids for giving them a tablet likely is suffering from severe insecurities themselves. Perhaps you failed as a parent yourself and so lash out at others to compensate?

That is what I am thinking. It felt pretty solid to me. I would never get one for myself, but he will totally freak out I think. This one is from us too, Santa isn't getting the glory on this!! :D

But once the first month free of Amazon Prime ends, it's another $79 to keep some of the features and content he will enjoy out of the box. Something to consider....

And here's yet another review that gives the edge to Nook over Fire.

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
While I appreciate you attempting to speak for every other member of this forum (LOL), you clearly don't. And your opinions on how to raise someone else's children is worth about a grade level below spit.

If you want to give your kids a tablet or laptop or anything to help further their education, interest in computing technologies or other, have at it.

Oh and for the record....there are no clinical studies that correlate "spoiled child" equals "sociopath." You may play a criminologist on TV but that doesn't make you one. "Spoiled" is a highly subjective term, but the most common use is used to define a child that never learns how to solve their own problems, making it difficult for them to solve them in adulthood. This does not equate to "having an iDevice." In fact, depending on normative parent/child relationships, a tablet computing device can enable self-sufficiency in problem solving the same way buying an old paper-based set of encyclopedia's, dictionary and thesaurus used to do. OMG....I used those as a kid as well, does that make me spoiled?

So, care to enlighten us on the study that indicates that giving your child a tablet computing device will turn them into a serial killer? Maybe while you are at it, dispel the myth that Autistic children aren't really benefitting from iPad use and are, according to your alternate reality, training to be serial killers instead?

Please....we are waiting to be illuminated by your vast wisdom on the subject.

The reality is that someone who judges others as "spoiling" their kids for giving them a tablet likely is suffering from severe insecurities themselves. Perhaps you failed as a parent yourself and so lash out at others to compensate?

But once the first month free of Amazon Prime ends, it's another $79 to keep some of the features and content he will enjoy out of the box. Something to consider....

And here's yet another review that gives the edge to Nook over Fire.

I have no interest in getting into a pissing contest with you over the rights or wrongs of parenting, so I'll refuse to answer your questions and remarks (or insults). I feel this is just another example of the difference between US and UK opinion on many modern lifestyle habits. You hold onto your views, and I'll hold onto mine. It's not an argument either of us can "win" unfortunately. What I can say though, is that my partner and I cannot have children, and we have successfully adopted 7 amazing children over the last decade so I do not need lectured on good or bad parenting.

It is quite an interesting debate to begin though, as seen here in a previous thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-749615.html , there are mixed opinions on this subject. (Well, what we are discussing, not your thread!)

Edit: for the thread starter: I hope whatever device you decide to purchase serves fit for the purpose you chose it for. Regardless of who uses it! Have a wonderful Sunday with your family, as I will do too.

Last edited:

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007

Glad you speak for everyone. Maybe we should just change the forum to a blog and you can tell everyone what they need to know. Childhood respected? Really? We will raise my children the way we want to. Yes you have a right to express you opinion. I also have a right to say your opinion is wrong and doesn't mean anything to me.

It has nothing to do with making them better kids. We get the just by being parents.
It is about them enjoying their childhood, which they do. I am sorry you can't see the educational benefits of these new devices with children of all ages. Our iPads have already helped my daughter read and know her alphabet along with spelling earlier than most children in her class. It has helped my son tremendously a well.

I have no interest in getting into a pissing contest with you over the rights or wrongs of parenting, so I'll refuse to answer your questions and remarks (or insults). I feel this is just another example of the difference between US and UK opinion on many modern lifestyle habits. You hold onto your views, and I'll hold onto mine. It's not an argument either of us can "win" unfortunately. What I can say though, is that my partner and I cannot have children, and we have successfully adopted 7 amazing children over the last decade so I do not need lectured on good or bad parenting.

It is quite an interesting debate to begin though, as seen here in a previous thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-749615.html , there are mixed opinions on this subject. (Well, what we are discussing, not your thread!)

Edit: for the thread starter: I hope whatever device you decide to purchase serves fit for the purpose you chose it for. Regardless of who uses it! Have a wonderful Sunday with your family, as I will do too.

Yet you did anyway. I guess it is ok when you were the one passing the judgement.

And you decided to lecture myself and my wife on our to raise our kids? I guess the English maintain that privilege.

The whole reason I was "Blowing The Horn" of my children was a result of your judgmental views telling me how I should raise our children. I am not going to apologize for that, since I constantly thank the lord of the blessing he gave us. Seriously, serial killers? Seriously, over dramatic lie much?

Anyway, I guess we share different views on the usefulness of technology and children. I see it is a tool to further their enjoyment of education. Any edge they can get is a plus, IMO. I guess we will have to agree to disagree...

On a lighter note, I am sorry you and partner can't, but it is good to see that you adopted an entire soccer team! :) Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Do you already have a Prime account? It is a 30 free trial with the Fire. If you do you can still have their streaming of free content they offer, as well as they now offer 1 book to borrow a month. As someone else said if you don't already have it after the 30 days it is $79 a year to keep it if it is something you/your family could use or find useful. Also if you go with the kindle check overdrive.com website to dee if your local library offers books for the kindle. If so you can then borrow books from the library's website with your library card. Same goes for your wife's kindle and your iPads even if you end up with something else for your son.

Another thing to keep in mind is it seems that Amazon also does a free android app possibly every day (I don't have any android devices so someone who does may be able to speak better about how it works, or if it is truly every day). But that might be another plus for going that route.

Also I noticed the very short time I played with one in bestbuy that the scrolling seemed slower than on the iPad, not sure if that is all the time or not since it was not that long that I played with it, but doubt your son would care and it wasn't that bad for all the other benefits. just something I noticed since I have an iPad, and that you might notice as well since you do too. But as I said didn't seem like a deal breaker. Otherwise seemed zippy loading websites and starting what few apps they had on it.

The kindle fire felt solid built too (again from the short time playing with it). But one of my friends is thinking the same as you. Getting one for their 9 year old for the holidays. Which is why I was messing with one too see if it would be a good fit there. Was amazed at how heavy it felt, but think it added to the feeling of quality, so again did not seem like a deal breaker too me.

Edit: left side of the overdrive site there is a box for your zip code to see if your library might offer the ebook borrowing service.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Unfortunately it is a matter of getting what you pay for. In the $200 range there are a lot of "cheap" tablets, but you get precisely that - a cheap tablet. I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 for $450, which is as cheap as I was willing to go, and you are treading on iPad territory there. There are a number of cheap tablets mostly running Android that could fit the bill. Take a look at Archos, which of the cheap tablet makers is the only one I could recommend. I've had their products before and they are decent and cheap. They have plenty of storage, are excellent media players, and lots of sizes/options to choose from.

Personally I would spend a little more and perhaps get a used iPad 1. I was looking at them on eBay and they are hovering just over the $400 mark. Another option I have my eye on is an HTC Flyer. Seen it advertised for $300, and looks like a very nice tablet. It is only 7" though, but if you are considering a Kindle take a look at the Flyer.

guitarbabs

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
New England
I highly recommend the coby kyros series. for a kid i would go with the capacitive touchscreen series since it ill be easier for them to navigate. they come in 7", 8", and 10" versions and price from 120 - 300.
goodluck, my friend.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
BS. There is NO evidence of this whatsoever. And even if it were true, it would apply to any other device with a backlit LCD display - iPads, iPhones, Macbook Pros, whatever.

Absolutely true. Just a general rule that would apply to any backlit device: avoid using in complete darkness whenever possible as it does wear out your eyes.
Besides that, there's no harmful radiation or any other urban legend that old hurt anyone's eyes.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Do you already have a Prime account? It is a 30 free trial with the Fire.

Another thing to keep in mind is it seems that Amazon also does a free android app possibly every day (I don't have any android devices so someone who does may be able to speak better about how it works, or if it is truly every day). But that might be another plus for going that route.

The kindle fire felt solid built too (again from the short time playing with it). But one of my friends is thinking the same as you. Getting one for their 9 year old for the holidays. Which is why I was messing with one too see if it would be a good fit there. Was amazed at how heavy it felt, but think it added to the feeling of quality, so again did not seem like a deal breaker too me.

Yeah we have had a Prime account for ages. I do A TON of shopping on Amazon. I love their prices, delivery quickness and customer service. So we will benefit from that if we go the Fire route.

Like I said I messed with my Sister-In-Laws and it did seem solid and well made, but didn't like the main interface too much... But think it would be fine for our son. Can you root them and put pure Droid on them?

Personally I would spend a little more and perhaps get a used iPad 1. I was looking at them on eBay and they are hovering just over the $400 mark. Another option I have my eye on is an HTC Flyer. Seen it advertised for $300, and looks like a very nice tablet. It is only 7" though, but if you are considering a Kindle take a look at the Flyer.

Yeah I started looking at some iPad 1s refurbished or used on craigslist/ebay. Would really like to go that route, but don't really want to spend that much. But if I can find something in the 300 range I might go that route. I just love iOS, but thought I could get some use out of a Droid as well for myself.
Besides, if we ever upgrade our iPad 2s we could hand down ours to the kiddos. Want to get them switched over to OSX as well, so looking at 27" iMac upgrades for us possibly next year :)

The wife spent about that much on an American Doll set / bed for our daughter, so maybe I can convince her. LoL..

I highly recommend the coby kyros series. for a kid i would go with the capacitive touchscreen series since it ill be easier for them to navigate. they come in 7", 8", and 10" versions and price from 120 - 300.
goodluck, my friend.

I will take a look at them. But I am not too fond of the Coby brand. Though, that may be just my past experience with them many moons ago. Will read up on them.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback folks!

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
goodluck, my friend.

A lower price tablet could be a starting point, ans as your kid becomes more responsible, anbett tablet could replace it.
Just one suggestion: stay with either Android or iPad. Avoid new mobile operating systems, as I don't believe there's room in this world for more; at least not presently.

And... Did you know you could buy an iPad 1 for way under $200? No camera, but yes everything else. And you won't need to repurchase software you already have for iOS if the tablet is based on another O.S.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Then you must know for sure that every child is different from another, and the exact same parenting rules may not apply to all of them equally. Also, times are changing and what was the norm 20 years ago may not always apply to these days (except for rules of morality, etc.).
For example, electronic calculators were forbidden at school 25 years ago, now students are required to bring one.
The iPad could be a wonderful instrument in a child education and development IF it's used under proper parental/teacher guidance.

Buying a child an iPad just so he could play games would be a dumb idea.
Well, I'm sure you get the idea. Your point of view is certainly valid when seen from your angle, but it certainly can't be consider a rule of thumb.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Just wanted to chime in with support for the OP. I hope you find the tablet that meets your kid's needs. Those that don't understand what a valuable learning resource these devices can be for children need some learning themselves. And their fun, too. :)

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
And... Did you know you could buy an iPad 1 for way under $200? No camera, but yes everything else. And you won't need to repurchase software you already have for iOS if the tablet is based on another O.S.

Way under 200?
Where would you recommend? I would much rather go that route if I can find one for that price or there abouts.
Mainly since we already have a good bit invested in apps and he is already used to it.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Ummmm, no. Refurbs from the Apple store are $299 when available (16GB wifi), and they are selling higher than that on eBay. Do you have a link to where I could get a $200 iPad? I'd buy two...

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Ummmm, no. Refurbs from the Apple store are $299 when available (16GB wifi), and they are selling higher than that on eBay. Do you have a link to where I could get a $200 iPad? I'd buy two...

Yeah that is what I am seeing as well. If I can catch a $299 refurb at apple for the 16gb I will order one of those. Only seeing the 32gb 3G for $399.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I have no interest in getting into a pissing contest with you over the rights or wrongs of parenting, so I'll refuse to answer your questions and remarks (or insults). I feel this is just another example of the difference between US and UK opinion on many modern lifestyle habits. You hold onto your views, and I'll hold onto mine.
Just an international word of advice for everyone.

"NEVER question someone's parenting skills"

It doesn't matter if you have good intentions, if you're simply trying to have a conversation or if it's your best friend since grade school that you care about more than your own brother. Parents simply turn irrational and defensive when someone gives even the slightest hint that their parenting can be... "Improved".

I know a lot of long time teachers and they all go through the same thing. Parents nowadays can't handle helpful criticism so teachers have to tailor their words to the brink of lying when trying to help their children or else the parents will turn on them and raise hell. So if people who sacrifice their lives, work in inadequate conditions and get paid minimum wage to educate our future can't have healthy discussions about child raising then what chance do we have as strangers. :D

graystone

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
OK, here's one more option. The Nook Color can be had for less than $200. It runs a Barnes & Noble limited version of Android which comes with a simple email app and a decent enough web browser, along with access to the B&N app store where you can get your Angry Birds fix and a couple of thousand other apps. The upcoming OS update will add the ability to stream Netflix and Hulu Plus. B&N has a whole section dedicated to kids with a lot of interactive books, and the hardware itself seems sturdy enough for kid use. Oh, and it plays outside video content and not just B&N content. (This is a big one for our family.)

But here's the kicker: The Color comes with a micro SD slot, which allows you to "root" the color with easy free on-line instructions or with a third-party solution for $30 or $50, depending on whether you get the 8 or 16 GB SD card.
http://www.rootmynookcolor.com/
"Rooting" the Color allows you to run a full Android Gingerbread operating system with full access to Android apps, including the Amazon app store. This would allow you, for instance, to install the Kindle app and have access to both bookstores, B&N and Amazon. This is not possible with the Fire, yet, as far as I know.

Since the Android OS is installed on the SD card, you will have the option when you turn the device on to either boot into the on-board Nook OS or into the Android OS on the SD card. Any space on the SD card left over after the OS can be used for storage. The beauty of this set-up is that you don't have to jail break the OS that comes on the Nook; you can choose which OS to use.

All-in-all, a good "starter" tablet for kids.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Barnes and Noble is offering the Nook Tablet with a "rebate" of a $25 Gift Card as their Cyber-Monday deal today. That makes it effectively a $225 purchase now.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
I know there are quite a few of these threads. I rarely start threads, but didn't want to get lost in the other threads and it is for my son, so...

Anyway, my wife and I love our iPad 2s and our son and daughter for that matter love them as well. But not wanting to spend 500+ for Christmas. Well probably will with everything, but not on one item.

My son, 8 year old, was asking for a Nintendo DSi or a 3DS. He said mainly since it has a camera (he likes pictures). However, he has my old 3G right now, and will be getting a 3GS to use as an iPod when my wife upgrades to the 4S in a week or so. So he already has the ability to take pictures with that.

I was looking at the Nintendos and they run for around 169. He already has a DS so he doesn't really need a new one.

Talking with the wife I thought about getting him a Kindle Fire. He loves to read and I think this would motivate him to read more. We have Amazon Prime already, so that is a plus.

My Sister-In-Law just got one. I didn't have much time to play with it, but it seems to be pretty decent and she likes it.

I did some looking online and I couldn't get over the number of cheap Droid Tabs out there. Anywhere from 75 to 200. I realize almost all of those are crap.

I would like to keep it around 200 maybe 300 tops.

How about the HP TouchPad?

I would have gone and created an account on a Droid forum, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So what say you?

I'm gonna skip all the stupid comments from non-parents.

My kids love playing on the ipad & I also recently bought the Fire, though technically I didn't need it. But there are some great games, educational & mindless, on it. Plus of course you can get books for him, the fancy enhanced ones & regular kids books. My kids 4 & 8 are very comfortable with technology I show them how to use it, respect it & not abuse it. My son, also 8, keeps asking to use it but I've been enjoying it too much. Lol. If he's already use to using the iphones then he'll have no problem using the fire.

You could always try another brand, but stay away from the cheap no name brands.

The Nook Color seems like another good alternative. I personally went with the Fire because I do like Amazons ecosystem, plus I wonder where B&N will be in the next few years. But by then there will be a plethora of new tablets anyway.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you decide & if your son enjoys it.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
I agree. I've been impressed by the Fire. By the time one pays a $50 premium for the Nook AND add an SD card you're close to a $100 price difference. Can't see the advantage.
from the reviews are read, nook is well worth the extra 50 bucks. you can get a cheap SD card for 10 bucks.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
My kids love playing on the ipad & I also recently bought the Fire, though technically I didn't need it. But there are some great games, educational & mindless, on it. Plus of course you can get books for him, the fancy enhanced ones & regular kids books. My kids 4 & 8 are very comfortable with technology I show them how to use it, respect it & not abuse it. My son, also 8, keeps asking to use it but I've been enjoying it too much. Lol. If he's already use to using the iphones then he'll have no problem using the fire.

Yeah both our kids love our iPads and constantly want to play with them. However, we make them run through a Math App/Reading and/or Spelling App before they can play their fun games. We also limit their time on all of our electronic devices.

Starting to work with my son showing him how to use GarageBand. Though think my daughter is going to be the musical/artistic one.

Refurb iPad = $299 from Apple. They sell out quickly when available though.

I am constantly checking their site for that configuration to come up. Oops time to refresh.... Do they sell refurbs in the Stores?

I am really leaning towards another iPad for him. Well actually, it will ultimately be for both of them. We may even venture down the iPad 2 16 GB wifi refurbished route... but have to think hard on that.

We have a good bit of $ invested already in the Apple ecosystem with Fun Apps, Educational Apps, Music, Movies, etc... so some of the $ we save from a Kindle or Nook would be spent getting a similar setup on them.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
from the reviews are read, nook is well worth the extra 50 bucks. you can get a cheap SD card for 10 bucks.

Depends on one's priorities. As noted, I'm unclear on restrictions on apps that can be stored on the Nook Tablet's SD card storage. In any event, my reading of various reviews doesn't suggest a significant overall advantage of the Nook. But, as always, YMMV.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Why do people start threads like this on here?

It would be like me joining a Audi forum and asking me to recommend a car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.