Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for an excellent polarizing filter for a reasonable price for a Canon EF 100- 400 f4.5-5.6 IS USM?

Thanks

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
Thanks and a few more Questons?

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful feedback and technical links.

There are several different versions of the B+W, which do you recommend.

Secondly, in looking at the technical data, the Murami 77mm seems about equivalent ( the B+W was disqualified). Did I interpret this correctly, and are the differences significant in the real world?

Thanks again.

sek

check out this review of CPL's
http://www.lenstip.com/115.25-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Marumi_MC_C-P.L_72_mm.html

I recently bought a Murami 77mm. Very satisfied. a local camera repair shop happens to carry them and they are also very bullish on them. They are less expensive, but near the very top in performance

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
There are several different versions of the B+W, which do you recommend.

Secondly, in looking at the technical data, the Murami 77mm seems about equivalent ( the B+W was disqualified). Did I interpret this correctly, and are the differences significant in the real world?

I use #8 on that list. If you are using a telephoto lens, you don't need to pay extra for a "slim" version. If I didn't get a great price on mine, I would have got the regular version.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Has anyone had experience with the new CPL filters with the new "high transmission" polarizing films, that lets more light through yet maintains the same polarization? I would be curious to see if they really work as well, and if the extra light transmission helps with keeping a good shutter speed.

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.