recommendation for reliable external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jerzgrrrl, May 20, 2007.

1. jerzgrrrl macrumors newbie

I am interested in 500GB plus. Currently use Firewire 400, but would like more connections for future use. Reliability most important, quiet and speedy would be great too. I do not have any experience with them and would appreciate your opinions.
    Thank you!

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Seagate, and Western Digital both make good products and are recommend a lot from what I see on this forum. Seagates seem to have the best warranty as well, so you might want to look into them.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Personally I have 2 Maxtors that have both worked great for me; they're cheaper ones though, both USB 2.0 and under 500GB, they are pretty quiet though. I've also been looking to get a new one and I was looking at the Lacie Triple Interface drives that have USB and Firewire 400/800. I don't really know anything about the quality of Lacie drives though.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have an acomdata Firewire hard drive and it's been great, I've had no problems with it. I've had Western Digital hard drives fail on me in the past so I would not recommend them from my experience. I have had good experiences with Maxtor and Seagate drives though, so I would also recommend them.