Recommendation for setting up new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mobster1983, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502

So just got an email saying my new custom iMac will be here two days early on Thursday. I can' wait! New iMac is fully decked out with core i7 3.5 GHz processor, 3TB a fusion drive (yes, I will come close to maxing that out), MX780M graphics card and 32Gb RAM (bought from Crucial).

Anyways, I will be upgrading from a 2011 MacBook Air. My MBA has been having issues, mainly with Safari being extremely slow. I am not sure if I should do a restore from Time Machine backup or set up as a completely new Mac.

One of the best parts of the Mac is the ease in which you can upgrade to a new OS or computer and transfer all your files. I am worried if I do this, any issue I am having with Safari May get transferred? If I don't, I may lose access to some of my purchased programs (like parrallels) what I didn't buy through iTunes.

What would you do in this case?Would you transfer everything through a Time machine,or set it up as new and transfer everything individually?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Is Safari your only issue? If so do migrate everything over. WHat you can try right now is Export your Bookmarks and then Reset Safari and see if that clears up your Safari issues.

Attached Files:

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'd use Migration Assistant and migrate everything to your new iMac. I've had great results with it (twice now), and it sure beats having to reinstall/reconfigure everything the way I like it.

I did have some odd issues with 10.6.8 that made me wonder if I should not do the migration for fear of carrying them on to the new 10.8.4 installation, but in the end I decided to migrate and I'm glad I did. None of the old "issues" has shown up on my new installation despite using Migration Assistant.

4. Hamburger macrumors regular

same here, no problems via migration assistant from my 2010 mba to my new imac yesterday. it is just so nice to have your familiar setup ready from the start.