Recommendation on controlling iTunes while in separate application?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am looking for a recommendation on how to control iTunes (pause, rewind, play) while working in separate application, namely word or text edit?

I am listening to a lecture and trying to take notes in the word document, but there are times I need to pause or rewind and it is a pain to switch between iTunes and word over and over again. At home, I can easily do this with my apple bluetooth keyboard, but while away it is not so easy on my MBP. Any help would be great!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I recommend sizzlingkeys which has the option for setting shortcuts for most functions of itunes and in the pro version ~$5 you can set shortcuts for skipping forward and back by a certain amount of time, very useful if you are transcribing something.

Or there is quicksilver

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you don't already have Quicksilver, why don't you have Quicksilver?!

Seriously though, Quicksilver w/ the iTunes plugins (and others if you want) + Growl = a great way to control iTunes. I still use this method at the office (though I have the new keyboard at home with the dedicated media control keys, so I don't need it there anymore). But you can set up custom, global binds for iTunes functions (like previous, next, play/pause, etc.) in Quicksilver.

Plus you can do a million other things in Quicksilver. Really one of the best utilities for OS X.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The best controller I have ever found was X-tunes but it is no longer being developed and never made it to Intel. So far the best replacement I have found is CoverSutra but it isn't as quite as good.

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I use Synergy. It's shareware as well.

ByteController is just about the same, but it's freeware. The only thing I don't know is whether or not it's Leopard ready.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Synergy is brilliant. Its the first thing I install on my Macs so then I can control my music while installing everything else. :D

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

In regards to Quicksilver and Synergy, I just want to make sure that they would both allow me to continue working in my word document and not switch to iTunes when I select pause or rewind? If that is the case, I will likely return to tried and true Quicksilver.

p.s. @Killmoms: I have used quicksilver for as long as I can remember, but with Leopard I found that I did not need it nearly as much. Mind you I said neatly as much, don't go all nuts on me, I know people are just as passionate about their QS as many of us are about our Macs. And, by the way "killmoms" what's up with the name?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It stays with the frontmost application so you can stay in word while taking notes. FYI for taking notes I feel sizzleykeys has the extra feature of quick scanning backwards through shortcuts. I like you don't get on with quicksilver. It is free for most features but to get that extra one you have to pay $5.