Recommendation on reliable external HDs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nizmoz, Aug 6, 2011.

1. nizmoz, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

nizmoz macrumors 65816

I have $200 I can spend at Best Buy in Rewards and a Gift Card. I want to get a replacement large external HD. Right now I currently have two old 500gb Western Digital HD's connected to a USB 2.0 hub into my AirPort Extreme router working fine, but both are out of space. I want to get an external but my worry is I also don't want to lose the data on the external if that one drive dies. So how do I go about preventing that with my funds I do have available? Any ideas?

One of my 500gb backs up time machine for my mac products the windows PC while the other one is my DATA drive right now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

External hard drives are all the same in that once you've decided on a budget and/or desired capacity, the only important factor is the length of the warranty. Most external drive manufacturers (LaCie, for example) just stick whatever fourth-party drive they can get for a cheap price in a nice-looking enclosure.

That being said, your most cost effective solution going forward would be to buy your own hard drive enclosure and a separate third-party drive from Newegg (or wherever). You'll be able to change out drives in the future if you upgrade or if it fails.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Can you spare $17?
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=DN&scriteria=AA78067
    (Note: this offer may be time-sensitive, NFI by poster)
    Additional note: I have an older (USB2) version of this gadget. You can IGNORE the comments on the site about it being "difficult to use" because the drive sits at a slight angle. Works great with no problems for me.

It's USB3 but that's backward-compatible with USB2.

You can even boot from these things. I run my test copy of Lion on one, connected to my iMac.

Then, just add one or more "bare drives" of your choice, and you have a dandy desktop storage solution.

When those WD enclosures go bad on you, just open them up, and take the internal drives and use them in the dock.

The only downside I can see by using a "docking station solution" is that they are "less portable" than a standalone "external" hard drive (hard drive in an enclosure). They are still easily moved around, however.

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Since I got like no help, I went ahead and picked up two Seagate Go-Flex Desks 2tb each for home. Hope they work well. So far seems to with my Airport Extreme.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4