Recommendation on webcam for Mac Pro ??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kieranm, May 5, 2007.

1. kieranm macrumors newbie

Hi folks, just about to get my first Apple, a Mac Pro, and would appreciate your recommendations on the best webcam for using Skype video on an Apple 23" display ? Any chance of a new iSight appearing in the coming months ? Thanks, Kieran, Cork, Ireland.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is a chance of new iSights, but some think that they may be phased out for displays with built in cameras :)

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I love the isight.. check ebay. I doubt there will be a new one soon.

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Supposedly the Microsoft Xbox Live vision camera works quite well on the Mac. I don't think it requires drivers. For $40 that's pretty good. I haven't tried it myself yet as I'm too lazy to pull it off the home theater system downstairs.

5. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

iSight's are expensive now. The XBOX one works nicely.

6. haumana macrumors member

[​IMG]

Sorry - I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone had any updated recommendations.

I have a Mac Pro, running Leopard.

Is an XBOX webcam still an option? Is there another webcam I should consider?

Only going to use it for basic Skype, nothing fancy - don't need HD or a billion megapixels :D

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If a webcam works with your Mac, then it works. The QuickCam® Vision Pro for Mac® works.

8. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

9. haumana macrumors member

If only I could justify that cost. Ouch!

Does is matter which XBOX cam it is? I just hit the XBOX website and they only have the Kinect, which I'm guessing is pricey and has features that are completely unnecessary :D

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X has the USB Video Class (UVC) driver built-in. Logitech's Mac-compatible webcam just works because it is compliant with the UVC standard. Plug it in and it works without the installation of additional software. Webcams's that are advertised as USB-compatible should also just work. For those that don't, they may work if you install the opensource macam driver. I have used the macam driver with a Walmart-special webcam. It worked like a charm.

11. CainFool macrumors newbie

You can either get the iSight or the Microsoft Xbox Webcam.

iSight was built especially for Macs, if you didn't know! - so there will be a higher compatibility.

12. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

I assume you mean "UVC-compatible" rather than USB-compatible?

Cause any webcam with a USB connector (= virtually any USB webcam) is technically "USB compatible", while, on the other hand, the Macam compatibility list lists dozens of incompatible USB webcams. Unfortunately, some manufacturers sell different webcams under the same brand/model name. Sometimes it's just different revisions (using a different chipset maybe) of the same webcam that make or break compatibility...

Personally, I have got the aforementioned Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro and am very happy with it. Not inexpensive though...

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Actually, I meant exactly what I said. That said, I have exactly one example. The manufacturer was Logitech at a time when it advertised none of its products as Mac-compatible.

14. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I saw an iSight in the MR marketplace yesterday...