Recommendation Please - Best Headphones with microphone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldCorpse, Nov 4, 2010.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I'd like to buy headphones with a microphone for the latest Touch, which would be the best? BTW, I hate any earphones you have to insert deeply into the ear canal... eww... TIA!

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Bose MiE2/MiE2i are fantastic, and they have a comma-shaped silicon bud that has them resting above, not in, the ear canal.

3. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Check out the Sennheiser iPhone portables

I like the Sennheiser PX 100 ii and PX 200 ii headphones. These are traditional over-the-ear headphones with iPhone/iPod Touch microphone, volume, and start/stop buttons. These guys are foldable and come with a hard plastic case for carrying. Nice sound and very comfortable, and decent quality for the microphone.

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thanks, guys. FloatingBones, I don't think those are the right model numbers, however... I'm trying to find any Sennheisers with mic for the Touch 4G :(... maybe Sennheiser HD 218i?

5. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I am not looking for the best, cuz best is usually very expensive and often overpriced. Instead, I would like a good balance between quality including sound and construction and price. I need in ear (canal) as buds just don't sit right in my ear. I do feel the Apple in ear headphones are way overpriced.

6. FloatingBones, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Where to find the Sennheiser iPhone (or iPod Touch) headsets

The PX 100's page is http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headsets_stereo-mobile-phone_504162

The PX 200's page is http://www.sennheiserusa.com/on-ear-headphones-stereo-headphones_502817

Note: the MSRPs listed on the Sennheiser pages are way high. You see prices for about 50% of these commonly. I like headphone.com: they are a very nice service-oriented shop with decent prices. They sell both of these headphones. If you go to their home page, you'll see both models pop up when you drag your mouse over the "earpad" tab. I also found both models by searching for

sennheiser px100 (or px200)

on amazon.com, but I prefer headphone.com for headphones.

There are other iPhone-compatible headphones on headphone.com listed at http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/top-iphone-products.php (but, strangely, the PX100 and PX200 are not on that list). Good descriptions and customer reviews of each set of cans.

7. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

8. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Aaah, I see FloatingBones, because I was looking at the PX 100 II and PX 200 II, but the actual numbers are PX 100 IIi it's that little "i" missing that has the microphone. From your link, it looks like the PX 200 II doesn't have a mic though, only the PX 100 IIi does.

However, here's the problem: according to Apple, these (i.e. PX 100 IIi) won't fit the Touch 4G, only 1G and 2G... Apple rates each headphone, showing which will fit what device.

So it looks like the Sennheisers are out, unless Apple is wrong about the PX 100 IIi.

Firestar, re: Klipsch S4i, it's an in-ear-canal, which I cannot stand :(... I can only take ordinary earbuds or over the ear headphones.

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Ah. No wonder I haven't heard of any of the earphones listed. Sorry. :eek:

10. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

No prob. FireStar. I would have bought the ordinary Apple ones with the mic, but the reviews are just terrible... they break down immediately, very poor quality :(

There are also these: Klipsch Image ONE On-Ear Headphones with Mic. But not only are they huge (I like the size of the Sennheiser PX 100 IIi), but at $149.00 too rich for my blood... plus only one review, too risky.

11. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

You are right. The i-designation in Sennheiser's line is for iPhone-compatible devices.

I can't imagine why the latest headphones would be incompatible with the iPhone 4. I bet the little icons just mean what has actually been tested.

If you're interested in trying the Sennheisers, I'd ask whereever you order them from if they are compatible.

12. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

If it helps, B&H Photo Video sells these online with free shipping and no tax, and often deep discounts to boot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sennheiser&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

13. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

The MSRP listed on Sennheiser's webpage is way too high. These cans are listed on Apple's website for $89.95. The one reviewer there is very happy with them, but doesn't say which iPhone and iPod models he is using them with.

I do fault Sennheiser for their goofy product numbering. Adding an "i" to the end of a product name because it's compatible with the iPhone plugs makes for difficult and confusing web searches. And using the "II" in the name is almost as bad. The combination of the two is particularly wicked, because some sites list the "II" as "ii". They would be far better off having a distinct number for each new model or variation.

I'm nearly positive they would work with an iPhone 4. If you bought them from Apple, I'm sure you could return if they weren't compatible.

14. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, this is for the iPod Touch 4G, not the iPhone. Anyhow, I'll be getting the Touch soon, and I'll go to the local Apple store and ask some questions. I'll report here on what I found... though I'm pessimistic about the Apple store, because in my experience the sales people are extremely poorly informed - it seems I always know tons more than they do about their own products (but maybe I just was unlucky in whom I met there).

15. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I was at the Apple store today, and as I expected, the sales guys had no recommendation to make re: headphones I wanted. I wasn't upset or anything, as I wasn't expecting much, and the sales guy was soooo nice. I did buy an incase perforated black slip on cover for the ipod and an AC/usb socket for my iPod, so it wasn't a wasted visit.

16. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I tweeted the CEO of Sennheiser USA (@SennheiserUSA) about compatibility. He replied:

I replied to him suggesting he might be losing some sales because of the missing compatibility icons and requested he sort that out with Apple.

I think you would be safe getting any of the Sennheiser headphones that have an i in their product name. I fondly hope they'll get the compatibility list for their products sorted out on Apple's webpage soon.

17. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Beats By Dre.

I tried some out in a store today and they are incredible. I really want a pair.