Recommendations/Feedback on FCP books

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by treehorn, Dec 4, 2009.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Was at Barnes and Nobel today and a couple of FCP training manuals caught my eye. Checked on Amazon to see how much cheaper they are (and of course the answer was...lots) and also noticed the publishing date on both was late 2008. In thumbing through the books they seemed pretty good but I'm curious how out of date they are with the recent upgrade:

Final Cut Pro Portable Genius

Edit Well: Final Cut Studio Techniques from the Pros

I also looked at Final Cut Pro Power Skills: Work Faster and Smarter in Final Cut Pro 7, which was released this year, so am going to order that soon, but was curious if the other books were still current/useful.

Thanks for input!

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Final Cut hasn't changed that much over time. A book from 2008 would be perfectly acceptable. There might be a few new features here and there by the basics of editing in Final Cut have been the same.

3. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Personally I own "Final Cut Pro Portable Genius". Has helped in a couple of situation when FCP has acted up. Looking at it from a FCP 6 to 7. Very similar stuff. You may miss out on little things that FCP7 has... new speed change tool and others...

4. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Anything from Peachpit Press and the Apple Pro Training Series is destined to be good.

5. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

One thing I didn't mention is a free video series produced by Izzyvideo.com. It is a video course on FCE but it is a great resource for FCP users too. Keep in mind it doesn't cover Color, Soundtrack, Motion, DVD Studio or Compressor but I found it very helpful when I was learning the basics of the interface and using effects and video generators.

http://www.izzyvideo.com/learn-final-cut-express/

6. midge50 macrumors newbie

The izzy videos do give you a quick basic overview. Also, there is great stuff at lynda.com

7. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

Thanks all!

I have the new Peachpit training manuals for FCS (and have a stack of the old ones to put on Ebay or something...) so know and love them. Glad to know these books hold up as thumbing through them had some nice 'ah-ha' moments - new ways to look at things or think about work flow (because as we all know...FCP has a dozen ways to do each step of the process!)