Recommendations for 3D/Architectural software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sparkie7, Jun 18, 2012.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

OK, I need some 3D/space planning software. That's easy to learn and grasp. Allows me to do planning and 3D visualisation of a house/studio space.

Any recommendations guys? Any info/advice appreciated, thanks! :D

2. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Anyone tried Google SketchUp? what about the Pro version?

thoughts?

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

5. Apple Poptart macrumors member

I would definitely recommend SketchUp if you are looking for something simple and easy to use.

I just graduated from architecture school and have used almost every 3d/cad program at some point. I sometimes use SketchUp for everything from conceptual modeling to final renderings- it just depends on how complicated the geometry is. The best part about SketchUp is that its free, and you can download models of things other people made to put in your own model or upload something you've made.

Hope this helps.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Price range? There are some absolutely amazing programs out there, but how much will you spend on them?

Some options are Nemetschek Vectorworks and Autodesk Revit. Both are incredibly powerful...and expensive.

Oops, reread the OP, and these are probably not what your looking for. Sketch up is decent.

7. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

a few ppl have told me google sketchup is the way to go. so i'll give this a shot first - thanks guys

8. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

I just read an extensive thread on this. It was started several years ago but had been updated and was inclusive of everything out there, including some inexpensive options. Search architectural rendering

9. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

do you have a link to the specific thread? i did a search but came up with 490+ findings! :rolleyes:

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I did all the planning when I remodelled my whole house interior last year with Live Interior 3D Standard which is in the Mac App store. It's not cheap, but it does a good job if you put the time into the model. It has 3D walkthroughs which help with visualisation. It comes with a lot of built in objects, but you can also import them from Google 3D Warehouse (free).

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you, I know this is an old thread but this is what I was looking for. Did you get the Pro version or the standard?

12. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I have the standard version. I looked on the App Store and it seems that it's now been replaced with Live Home 3D which is cheaper. It's been a long time since I used it!

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Great thank you.