Recommendations for 4k display for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baldrake, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Baldrake macrumors 6502

I've been waiting for years for a retina external display (and most recently waiting for the mythical 5k TBD.) Now that we're hearing that the 2016 Skylake MBP will not support 5k displays, I'm giving up. Does anyone have recommendations for a 4k display? I'm use to the beauty and quality of a TBD, so I'm looking for something high quality.

Also, can anyone confirm that Skylake will be able to flawlessly drive an external 4k display in retina mode?

Thanks a million. That's what I love about this place - there are always people who've tried whatever you're thinking of.

2. spacebro macrumors regular

I use a 43" wasabi mango 4k with dp1.6. Its under $1000 but I think its nice, has a very narrow metal bezel. My 2012 rmbp could only drive it at 30hz but a new rmbp with graphics card works good at 60hz. A display this size would be better curved but there are not many 4k options available yet.

3. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Where did you hear this? Even the current MacBook Pro supports 5k. Why would the skylake mbp not?

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

5. Baldrake thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, here's the relevant section of that article:
    So not impossible to drive a 5k with Skylake, but with performance issues. There's been quite a bit of discussion of this in the "Waiting for Skylake" thread in this forum as well.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I mean... did you guys not see that new Lenovo monitor at CES? This thing is the hawtness like no otha.

I'm waiting to buy the next rev of MacBook Pro, and I'm hoping I can get a 5K display w/ that, but if not, this Lenovo looks dead sexy!

7. Baldrake thread starter macrumors 6502

Those are really nice, and the price is right, but they aren't retina... :)

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I hear ya, brotha! I'd much rather have Apple let me give them significantly more money for a 5K retina display to go with my new MBP!

9. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Eh, there really aren't any performance issues from running in dual displayport mode. The issues have to do with the sheer power needed from the video card to drive 5k and getting the connectivity working (I find myself plugging and unplugging more often than I would like). But once the connection is up and running it is solid. I would prefer a single cable, but to imply that there are performance issues with dual displayport is mostly inaccurate.