Recommendations for a 2.5" drive enclosure?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spiritlevel, Mar 12, 2009.

1. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

I just got a unibody macbook pro which had a 250GB 5400 internal drive which I have upgraded to a 7200 320GB drive.

I am now looking for an external enclosure to put the 250GB drive in to use as a backup.

Can anyone recommend a good one? I would like to be able to boot from this drive - can I do that via usb2 or do I need to get one with firewire to do that?

I would prefer a silver aluminium enclosure to match my macbook if possible - a case to put it in would also be useful - ideally not looking to spend too much but open to all suggestions.

It would also be good if the drive could be powered from the macbook pro's usb/firewire bus.

thanks

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Any 2.5" drive enclosure should power it from the bus. And yes, any Intel Mac can boot from USB.

Check out NewEgg for enclosures. Lots of nice aluminium 2.5" enclosures, and good prices too! :)

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The nexstar3's are really nice. And they're rated pretty highly for dependability.

4. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice guys - I have decided I want one with firewire as well as usb which limits the options quite a bit...

I am looking at the macally PHR-S250CC 2.5" SATA To USB 2.0/Firewire Aluminum External Enclosure which I can get shipped from the US for about £35 - This uses the oxford chipset and will boot macs no problem etc

However, I also found this http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Hard-Drive-Cases/sc884/p875.aspx - which works out at £28 shipped - its a bit cheaper but I don't know if it's made from plastic or aluminium, what chipset it uses and mac bootability etc - I will give them a call tomorrow.

thanks again

5. suprdave1 macrumors newbie

6. bigdaddyp macrumors regular