Recommendations for a camera bag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 100Teraflops, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 100Teraflops, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Hello Again Photographers,

I have reached the milestone of owning four lenses! :rolleyes: I currently own an Adventura 170 and I like it. However, I need a bag to "grow into" and my current bag does not fit the task. I have looked at other Lowepro bags such as the Magnum 650 AW and the Magnum 400 AW. I am not a "field" photographer, so a light portable bag is not a priority. However, I still have to lug the bag around and it will be a base-camp bag so to speak. Should I buy one of the Magnums, another manufacturer's cloth lens bag, or should I buy a hard case? It shall be known that I plan to buy a FF body during the next six months or so. Heres to the rebound of the economy!

Also, I am carrying all of my lenses with me, hence the request for another bag. So, how many lenses do you folks carry with you when you are in the "searching for a photographic moment?" Assuming the moment is premeditated? I understand there are lenses referred to as "walk around lenses," but that would be too easy. :D

Maybe I should use my kit lens more often, as I think it is considered a walk around lens. I am trying to avoid owning specific bags for specific situations, but it does not seem feasible. Thanks in advance for all considerations.

The Bag Man. :)

2. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

It would seem that much depends on what size camera you are toting around.

I've been using the LowePro Inverse 100AW for my D7000 with kit lens, 35mm DX, smaller speedlight, plus filters and cleaning gear. The bag has performed wonderfully and I can still expand it to carry 2 more lenses if I got hard cases for them & stowed in the side pockets.

That being said.. the 200AW claims it will handle a pro camera with zoom plus 3 additional lenses and other misc gear. So, if you have a crop sensor camera I'm betting you could fit all your gear in this relatively compact bag and be able to access it all from the top while it hangs on your shoulder or is around your waist.

Results will vary, of course, but I'm a big fan of it's weight & versatility

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I use the LowePro 202AW for my T3i. I only have one extra lens but with the configuration options with this bag, don't think you would have any issues with toting all your lenses around with you if you wanted to. There's also an exterior pocket for cables/filters on the back as well as a bigger zippered pocket on the top.

Even if I did have 4 lenses I'm not 100% sure I'd want to tote all of them around. I'm using the kit lens now however I'd like to upgrade it to a better "walking around" type lens. Maybe a 15-85 or 18-135 lens...not sure. But I'd definitely tote around the "walking around" lens as well as something with a little more zoom to it as well. If I had the money I'd probably get a macro lens too so that would make it a total of 3 lenses.

Attached Files:

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

What lenses do you have? I have a Lowepro Fastpack 250 and it fits four lenses for me. I've got a T2i with the kit 18-55mm lens on it, plus a 70-210mm f/4.5 FD, a 28mm f/2.8 FD, a 50mm f/1.4 FD, an FD-EF adapter, a teleconverter, and a bunch of filters all in that area. I don't have any flashes, but that's just the lens part, there's plenty of extra room elsewhere in the bag.

5. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thank you for the recommendation! I should have stated that I have a crop body. I will checkout the Inverse 100 AW, as LowePro manufactures several larger over the shoulder bags. Thanks again for sharing your overview of the LowePro 110AW!

6. ReddDraggon macrumors member

7. 100Teraflops, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

That is a nice roomy bag and I will check it out. I don't plan to tote all my lenses around, as I require a storage facility in between active photography and inactiveness. I have a 18-135mm and I have learned to love it. It is a great all arounder that does not break the bank. Thank you for sharing your info!

8. xMClass macrumors 6502

Have you checked out Think Tank?

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

They have pretty much everything you could ever want from a camera bag. A bit pricey but their bags are the best quality you can get from a camera bag, and their customer service is outstanding. Been using their bags for almost 3 years now, they never let me down.

I'm currently using their Retrospective series of shoulder bags to carry my two lenses, 24-70 & 70-200, if you're looking for an "everyday" shoulder bag then look no further than the retrospective series.

9. 100Teraflops, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

100Teraflops

Sorry, this is an important tid bit of information. :) I have a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Nifty Fifty, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. Do you plan to buy more lenses? I can fit all my lenses and supplies into my current bag: Adventura 170. You provided an excellent review of your bag. Thanks for sharing! Also, another LowePro shoulder thrower!

Wow, another Lowe Pro bag. There has to be other large bags on the market that I do not know about? Does anybody have a hard case for lenses and bodies? I have researched and cannot find any hard molded plastic etc carrying cases.

I researched last night and apparently Canon sells a few larger capacity shoulder bags. I am debating the purchase of http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200009-REG/Canon_6242A001_Professional_Gadget_Bag_1EG.html and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650512-REG/Lowepro_LP36055_PEU_Magnum_650_AW_Shoulder.html

There is quite a large monetary difference between the bags, but I need something to grow into.

I like to thank everyone personally for their contribution to this thread! :)

10. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I absolutely love my Kiboko by Gura Gear. It is spendy as heck but I bet you have a fair amount invested in your equipment.

I used it to take three bodies, half a dozen lenses, two flashes and a hard drive to Guatemala. It fits nicely in the overhead compartment of most every airplane. The only issue I had was with customs wanting to make sure I wasn't bringing in all that gear to sell.

It is definitely a bag you can grow into. ;)

11. 100Teraflops, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

100Teraflops

Thank you! I know there are other bags out there. I will investigate this bag/case. The bag is airline friendly, which is a major advantage in my book. :) Three bodies and six lenses is a roomy bag, right up my alley. Thanks again. I found the thinkpad website or something like that, as they sell airline friendly cases too, but they are expensive. Decisions...Decisions.

EDIT: I just checked out the bag and it is definitely large enough for my future needs. It houses two large super telephoto lenses and room for several lenses. Too bad I do not have one super telephoto lens. Thanks again!

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

A lot depends on where and how you are carrying your equipment. Also bear in mind you may want several bags, of different capacities, for different "assignments".

If you hike, or are planning on moving your gear by foot alot, look at the back-pack style. They spread the weight around properly, and leave both hands free for balance, and they don't weigh you to one side. You also want one that has a water-proof bottom so that you can put it down on a wet bit of ground. Some bags come with an integrated rain-cloak you can pull out of a pocket.

If you are going to fly a lot, make sure it's carry-on sized.

If you are going to go near the water (especially salt water) then it's got to be water proof, and floatable - like a Pelican case. It's a plastic hard-sided case that seals up totally waterproof.

Are you going to spend most of your time moving the equipment by car? I know somebody who took the entire back-seat out of their Mini, built box where they had been, and added foam inserts for his gear. Now, with the black carpet in back covering the box lid you would never know that the car is the camera bag. Plus he can still take a full load of studio equipment, suitcases, etc.

If you plan street photography you probably want a bag that goes over the shoulder, and that you can pull around in front of you. This allows you to get into the bag, while you are standing up, and then slide the bag back out of the way to shoot. I've no experience with the courier style bags. However one of my shoulder bags ( A old Lowepro Magnum AW) has an asymmetrical shoulder strap pad. It looks weird, but it works really well to keep the weight well distributed.

I have a few bags I've bought from camera swap meets or thrift stores for just a few dollars. Different sizes for different assignments.

A bag with more pockets is better than one with just one cavernous maw - imho, at least.

One last, very important observation. A big brand new camera bag may be an invitation to thieves. I have a couple of old Minolta bags that I use if I take my gear out into the city. Other people I know modify cheap backpacks with foam and inserts for their gear. It looks like they carrying text books or gym gear, and not camera gear.

Good Luck.

13. Randy McKown macrumors member

My main bag is a Lowepro Stealth Reporter d650aw and I absolutely love that thing .. then I also keep extra stuff that I don't carry as often in a Lowepro CompuDaypack or if I'm doing some serious hiking and don't want to lug the Reporter around I'll throw some gear in it.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BIFN9Q

I LOVE this backpack. Light, protective, smart use of space. If you shop around you may find it cheaper.

Hit the kata website to see some in depth video.

MacBook pro 15
    7d or 5d2 with 15-85 or 24-105
    4 primes
    Flash
    Filters lenspens and a change of clothes with toothbrush etc.

I am shocked how much I can cram in and how comfy it is. It also comes with a weather sealing tarp addon.

15. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I plan to carry the bag in my car and an airport. The Mini story is pretty cool and intuitive!

I do not plan to hike around, so the backpack is not an option. Although it may be a viable option in the future. Thanks for the info about the Pelican as I did not know there are floatable lens cases. The comment about the airport bag is definitely a concern, as I plan to travel. I will use the bag as my carry on. So, I have to check the carry on bag dimension of my favorite airline.

I agree that extra pockets are a plus and some of the bags I am looking at have at least three external pockets. Excellent point about bag theft! I did not think about that. Right now I plan to purchase an over-the-shoulder bag, as my current bag is that variant. Do you recommend your LowePro Magnum AW, which model is it, and how many lens, bodies, and flashes etc can you fit in your bag?

Thanks again for the help! :)

16. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thanks for the Link! The Classic 550 is ultra plush, classy, roomy, and the external pockets are a plus. Please forgive me, as I currently do not understand VAT, but is VAT charged to residents outside the UK? Those bags are awesome! :)

One can imagine Charles Darwin using a similar bag when he set out on the H.M.S. Beagle!

17. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Sorry for skipping your post! Yes, I checked out thinktankphoto bags and they are very roomy! I like the luggage/lens case! I'll check out your bag as well. Thanks for the link! :)

18. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Multi-tasking bags are a plus, as I would love to use a bag for double or triple duty. Another LowePro advocate! LOL Thanks for sharing your experiences! :)

Looks like I might have to consider a backpack, as that thing is roomy! Room for a laptop is a plus! I will research this bag too. Had to include the toothbrush, huh? LOL Thanks Sir! :)

19. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Post #13 in the link has photos of the bag I use with all my gear I travel with. While I like the bag I am thinking about getting the Expedition 8 or 9 as it is better for me, my gear and hiking a good deal as the padding is much nicer. Hope this helps and enjoy :D
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1050373&highlight=

20. snberk103 macrumors 603

I like my LowePro bag alot, but I have no experience with the other bags being suggested. One thing you can count on is that whatever gear a photographer is using, they will recommend it. Otherwise, they wouldn't be using it. The problem is that when you have a collection of photographers, who each have a different setup, and who each recommend that setup.... how to do you sort it out?

So.. I have two suggestions.

1) If you can, get yourself to a pro photography store. The bigger the better. Talk to the sales people there. If you feel comfortable with them, start buying your gear there and establishing a relationship. It will pay off in time, imho. You may find better deals on the internet, but you don't get the expert advice you will find in a good store. We, here on the forum, are experts - but with a very narrow point of view. We tend to know our own stuff, and have little experience with the competitor's gear.

On the other hand, a pro shop needs to know a lot about all of the different makes. They also know local conditions, and they know which brands are being returned as being unsuitable. In the end you will be buying gear that is suited for you, and using it that gear more efficiently than stuff you may have gotten for cheaper online, but then never use 'cause it doesn't suit you and your style.

A good store will rent lenses to you that you either just need for a few days, or that you are thinking of buying. If you end up buying the lense the rental fee is deducted from the purchase price.

A good store will do an immediate exchange on a bit of equipment that turns out to be faulty (rather than needing to send it it in and waiting for the replacement for gear bought online.) Recently I had a rather expensive piece of gear have to go back to Denmark for recalibration. Took 6 weeks. The pro shop I bought it from gave me a loaner, at no charge. Since I live a good 5 hours from the shop, and on an island we used couriers to get the equipment back and forth.

A good shop will have a good selection of camera bags. Take all the gear you plan to travel with, borrow the lense from the shop that you don't yet own but plan to put into the bag, and try out the bags.

Don't plan on getting the perfect bag - you would need to try every single bag made, and yet to be made. Find the one that meets your needs and budget, buy it, move on with no regrets. The point is to making photographs, not purchasing decisions.

2) At some point someone is going to point out the multi-quote option to you, when replying to these posts... might as well be me rather than a mod.

When you are reading this post, look at the bottom right corner, where you see the "Quote" button. Just to the right of that is a quote-symbol with a little plus under it. If you want to reply to several posts at once (which is considered better form that replying to each one individually) then you click the quote+ (mult-quote) button on each post, except for the last one. On the last post you want to reply to you click the normal quote button. You will then see a long-ish reply box, with each post in it. Each post has a [quote~~~~] at the beginning, and a [/quote] at the end.

Cheers

21. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Or the best option: Find a really good store. There are some stores that will show you around, give you great advice, and then be OK with you buying it elsewhere. I still do buy locally for convenience a lot, but it's nice if the staff is OK with showing you all the options even if you don't plan on buying something there

22. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

at the end.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, you are right, as it is hard to sort out what people use their bags for. However, if they are somewhat descriptive, then it provides information that is helpful for me and other forum members. IMHO Such as the multiple uses for a backpack, over-the-shoulder bag, and a bag/case with rollers etc..

As far as a pro photography shop, I have one shop in my area and I bought a tripod and a lens there. I have to checkout which bags they have in stock, thanks for pointing out that supporting a local shop is helpful and beneficial.

I am searching for a bag just to grow into and people are posting there recommendations. I understand that there isn't a "perfect" bag, but a bag can have more than one use. :) Maybe I am caught up in the moment searching for the perfect bag, but I like to have options.

2. I know how to use the multi-quote option, but sometimes I am guilty of abusing it and for that I apologize to you, the mods, and the forum members. Although I did violate the rule in this thread several times, I will be more conscious of my replying technique in the future. :) Moreover, it is not possible to use the multi-quote option every time one replies to a thread, but that is not the issue. Contrary to my actions, I am not a post whore. ;)

I will not explain why I chose to reply to each post individually, because it is not necessary. The evidence is overwhelming and I am guilty as charged! I appreciate your candor, as I believe forum members can police other forum members without complications or hard feelings. :D

Again, thanks to every person who contributed to this thread! :) I am and/or we are, well informed buyers thanks to the knowledgeable members of MacRumors.

23. georgemann macrumors regular

georgemann

Seattle, Washington & Siem Reap, Cambodia
    Finding the Perfect Camera Bag

In the last 50 years of being an active photographer (both as a hobby and as a pro)), I have literally gone through hundreds of camera bags and I will probably go through quite a few more. Here are some of my thoughts on the subject and where I am at now.

http://nikondp.com/2011/06/finding-the-perfect-camera-bag/

George

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

No Apologies requested, or required. Personally, it's not my job to police the forums and I don't care whether you use multi-post or not. I've been know to post sequentially myself ;) But sometimes for new members I would rather point out something before the self-appointed (i.e. not the mods) police show up. The self-appointed police can be a bit less than polite on occasion, and can leave a bad impression.

This has been a great thread. Thanks for starting it. :)