Recommendations for a late '11 MBP w/ battery issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OverSpun, Nov 11, 2013.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I definitely missed the memo on the non-removable battery calibrating. I was used to calibrating from my old late '08 unibody MBP...

I haven't paid attention to charging and discharging the battery and I tried calibrating a few times before I found out that you don't have to calibrate '11 MBPs...I'm at my desk fairly often with an external display and coconut leaves me with this...

calibrating made it worse than doing nothing. Perhaps its mainly without disconnecting the charger very often? Or if I damaged my battery from it?:(
    [​IMG]

TIA-

2. Voca macrumors member

Voca

With an external monitor, you will have to have it plugged in. Otherwise it will shut down at 50% battery.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I think that was changed in Mountain Lion. I am able to run unplugged with an external display as long I keep the laptop open. I just can't run unplugged with the clam shut.

Anyway... I reset the SMC, again, and my "service battery" error turned off but my battery health took a huge dump while it had "service battery" errors. I cancelled my genius desk appt since they likely wouldn't be able to do anything after I reset SMC and I'm sure they wouldn't replace my battery.

4. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I missed the memo before the one you missed!

I've ordered a replacement battery for my early 2011 MBP. I had no battery issues at all before upgrading to Mavericks ... now it's down to about 35% of capacity.

I'm not blaming the OS. I keep the machine tethered to a TBD, so I probably deserve what I've gotten. At least it's a problem I can fix myself!

5. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

It's our loss, I guess. Given what I figured out; we can unplug w/ an external display so we can properly cycle the battery without serious "health damage". I'm planning on giving a shot with applecare if they'll replace my battery before I run out of warranty in a year.

It's recommended to at least cycle it 1x/month according to the apple site-

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I cycled ~2-3x/day for a week and it helped a little but. My battery was fine until the service errors showed up last week. I'm not worried about, its just a battery than a logic board. :)

6. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

That's certainly true ... replacing a battery pales in comparison to replacing a duff logic board.

I will certainly remember to cycle my battery once a month from now on. I'm not sure how much longer my '11 MBP battery might have been expected to last anyway, but I'm not going to take chances with the new one.