Recommendations for A Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ADubin, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ADubin macrumors newbie

I'm currently using a 15" Mac Book Pro to edit photos using PS CS6 and LR4 and interested in purchasing an external monitor for this computer. I have room to us a 21"H X 31"W monitor on the area of my desk. I like to spend in the $500 range, and a refurbished is an acceptable alternative. Your recommendations for a monitor would be greatly appreciated. Also what color calibration do you recommend I consider buying too? ADubin

2. chaseychasem macrumors regular

If you're using a 2012 MBP and going the third-party antiglare route, I would highly recommend that you hook up your computer in-store to any monitor you're considering. 650M drivers are not especially well optimized for third-party displays at the moment. I recently had to return an HP ZR2440W connected via DisplayPort due to fuzzy text rendering.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

narrow color gamut for sRGB work or wide gamut to handle Adobe RGB files?

4. ADubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Response

Chasey, That is an excellent suggestion. ADubin

----------

I need to use it to process Adobe RGB files. ADubin

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

6. Aco Strkalj macrumors member

Does anyone know when the new cinema displays are coming out?

7. chaseychasem macrumors regular

I've heard about a potential TBD update next month but no CD update per se.

8. andyone macrumors member

This is not a fault of the graphics driver and easily fixed: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090828224632809

9. chaseychasem macrumors regular

10. ADubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

MCAsan, Thank you very much for the links to these websites. That will help me decide which one I want to purchase. Arnold

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You are welcome. You have a second thing to consider. Do you want a docking station?

For example the Thunderbolt display is a nice 27" IPS panel like the Dell U2711, and a couple of others that do 2550x1440 resolution. But the Thunderbolt display has docking station features such as integrated speakers, integrated power supply for the laptop, USB 2 hub (which I hope is soon upgraded to USBb 3), and FW (which I personally don't want at all). The closest thing to that package would be something like the Dell U2711 monitor (around $800) and the announced Delkin Thunderbolt dock (announced at $399 but now shipping yet). Note the Delkin dock does not provide a power supply to a laptop.

So I think that despite the big bucks up front, the Apple Thunderbolt display is a good value if....big if.....you want both a good 27" IPS panel and docking station features for a Mac laptop.

I am hoping for a Thunderbolt Display refresh before the end of the year. I don't know if they will increase the resolution to "Retina" levels (whatever that would have to be on a 27" panel); but I would expect the upgrade to USB 3 and maybe dropping FW.

12. ADubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

MCAsan, Thanks for your additional info. I'm starting to do some research on the apple thunderbolt display (27-inch). Atnold