Recommendations for a Noob

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TopperHarley, Nov 1, 2010.

1. TopperHarley macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

Just joined the forum, so a big hello to you all!

I've been using a PC all my life. I currently have a 5 year old Dell 3100 desktop. I've decided to make the switch to a Mac. I have a lot of problems with my current computer, but it's 5 years old so it's expected I guess.

I'm pretty much decided on the Macbook Pro 13 inch model. I'm not a "hardcore professional" computer user, but more of a personal user. Here are some of my concerns:

1. I'm leaning towards the 2.4 Ghz model. The upgrade to a 2.66Ghz with an extra 50 Gb hard-drive is several hundred $$$ more expensive. Do you guys think the added $$ is worth the little extra processor speed and hard-drive size for a non-professional user?

2. Some people are telling me to wait for the 2011 Macbook Pro to be released. Obviously nobody knows exactly when that will be. I can wait a few months, but I'm not sure how much would change. Some people seem to think the processor on the 13' model is "outdated" and needs an i5 or i7. 2011 is just around the corner, so perhaps it might be worth "waiting" to see what upgrades come available.

Anyways, just looking for some insight and recommendations. Thanks a lot!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're just going to do web browsing, email etc... and not any really heavy tasking of the laptop, I feel the base model will be just fine for you. Save a few hundred dollars.

I'm using an almost 4 year old MBP 15" and it's still running great and I do moderately heavy work with Garageband on it too.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I think the base model is fine and don't really see the value in the 2.66 machine. The HD is user upgradeable and can be done for less than $100 easily. It's about a 10 minute job to do it and doesn't affect your warranty.

I disagree on waiting. The time to buy any computer is when you need it and it sounds like you need one. Waiting for the newest technology is a fools choice because technology moves so quickly. There is always something newer, faster and better just around the corner. If one kept waiting for that they would never have anything. It's really that simple.

4. TopperHarley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

I also have the opportunity to get a refurbished and discounted 13inch 2.53Ghz model. It still has the 250Gb hard-drive. The graphics card is also different, it has the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, opposed to the 320M (not sure what the difference is between the two). This model is <$100 compared to a brand new 2.44Ghz. But it was used/refurbished.

I was researching through various websites also and some people think the Intel Core 2 processor is outdated and isn't very good. Others have said that they don't think Mac could even put an i5/i7 into a 13inch model without compromising battery life, temperature, etc, and they think that the Macbook Pro 2011 version would most likely have the Intel processor still. Thoughts?

Out of curiosity, for the "serious" Mac users, what kind of work do you do with your computer? At what point is the extra processor speed/hard-drive size or upgrading to the 15/17in models with an i5 or i7, worth it?

5. Xil3 macrumors regular

Not sure where you're reading this, but the C2D is an amazing chip, and definitely capable of any tasks you throw at it.

The iX is about 10-20% faster... so it's better, but not THAT much better.

6. zeppo2 macrumors member

Sandbox, do you use the most current Garageband that's on Leopard?

thanks