Recommendations for a Photographer/Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by catfish743, May 3, 2010.

1. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I've looked over the last few pages of this thread and instead of answering questions it has perhaps raised more instead. But to each person there lies an individual need and for mine I am seeking advice. Socrates says "The only thing I know is that I know nothing" and while I may know *some* things about computers most is antiquated, id est a year or so old, and I'm trying to make the most of the options available now as the opportunity has arisen for me to possibly, neigh probably get a new computer. Is neigh right there? That's beside the point. So let me describe my situation and then dilemma.

I go to Transylvania University (please no Vampire jokes) and though I am entering my senior year next year there is a great possibility I will be going to Grad school. So needless to say I spend a lot of time with word documents and researching. That however is not the biggest problem nor does it pose my biggest dilemma. I have been given a grant to do a documentary photographic project on a local event and I will be spending a lot of time in photoshop. I already do anyway and I already have it so to speak so that is not something that will need to be purchased. I will also be doing a lot of photographic editing and work post this project, as I was doing it before though on my current setup. That is probably the most intensive work I will do and I recently bought a tablet to help me out with that.

My current set up: I have a 13 inch blackbook from a year I know not. I purchased it from a guy my freshman year and it has a 2.16 C2D and 2 GB of Ram. I am, shall we say, frustrated as I have been doing most of my computing on it as I spend the majority of my time out of my room, or when in the room I lay in bed using it, but even with just Safari and Mail open that dreaded colorful ball pops up. I should use my 24 inch iMac that I bought also my freshman year before I bought the blackbook (the blackbook was purchased because I needed something portable) but as it is in my room and I am not... well the problem is apparent. I will be able to do editing on it over the summer as I will probably have to if I don't change things. IT has 4GB RAM and the other specs I can't recall, they may be in my sig if I remember correctly. Oh and I have 2 TB of storage besdies the HDs in both computers.

Now to what I would like: I have been looking at the recently released MBPs and really really really want an upgrade. I verge on using the word need (but what does one need anyway). Between the i5 and the i7 I cannot decided, their merits have been debated in other articles but I'm not sure for my needs what would be sufficient (I'm leaning towards i5). Screen size is also a problem but I'm thinking the 17" is almost overkill but I know I won't be sticking with the 13". Memory I will upgrade 3rd party. Most likely, though 4GB may be enough for a while - your opinions on that would be great. AND I read a few threads about SSDs and all claimed those were solutions to the main problems the posters raised. However, I think 5400 RPM at 320 will be enough, especially if I have other space elsewhere.

so I'm thinking either the 15" 2.4 or 2.53 i5 with the Hi-Res gloss but I'm curious as to your opinions on boosting to i7 or 17" or SSD or other things in regards to my needs.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help. If you need any more info let me know.

(And as a side note, how much do you think one could get out of my Blackbook?)

2. grndfthrprdx macrumors newbie

I think the base 15" MBP with the Hi-res screen would work well. The increase in processing power between the two i5's will probably not be noticeable. Upping the ram will be the most noticeable improvement although, 4GB is a decent amount to start with. SSD would make the OS and photoshop load faster but wouldn't make much of a difference in editing photos.

Base model would be sufficient and anything on top of that would help but will cost more.

3. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

Thanks so it would only make it load faster with the SSD? That's what the two threads I read said, but I mean, really, I can wait for a program to load a few seconds. And Gloss versus Matte? I'm 95 percent Gloss.

And I know it was cheaper to upgrade Third-party with my iMac but this gives me 8 GB at 470, when apple charges 400.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139083

I just read a few threads and it seems easiest and cheapest, besides OWC, to do the Apple 400+.

Any other input on the 15 vs 17 or i5 vs i7 for my needs?