Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
Can anyone recommend me a wireless router?
I need something that woud cover a 5 room ground floor flat.
I used to have a D-link DL-524 in my old house which worked ok on my old iBook, it was secure, easy to configure but didn't give a great signal upstairs. Not sure if the specs have changed much on my new card, i'm on the 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 13" MacBook with the built in card.
Anyhow, hope someone can help out.
Thanks in advance,
Allan

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
To be honest I've never really looked into either of those. I guess the express would suit, there's only two macs in the flat. I'm as happy taking recommendations on non Apple products that will work with my Mac, cos they're generally cheaper.
I'm getting Virgin Broadband in next tues so whatever i get will need to be compatible with their Modem as well.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
To be honest I've never really looked into either of those. I guess the express would suit, there's only two macs in the flat. I'm as happy taking recommendations on non Apple products that will work with my Mac, cos their generally cheaper.
I'm getting Virgin Broadband in next tues so whatever i get will need to be compatible with their Modem as well.
Cool I understand. I'll give you my recommendation for the express. I've got the older version before it's gone to 'n' speed and it has been great. It's really small and super-simple to configure with the apple software. You just plug in your modem, configure and you're good to go.

Two bonuses are the ability to plug in a USB printer for wireless printing and a stereo/speakers for wireless streaming from iTunes. Again super easy to configure for both. Versatile little fellow and relatively cheap :).

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
only if you want gigabit or time capsule for back-up

Frankly, if you were getting any signal upstairs, you were doing well. If you want gigabit wireless, you'll need to go to N and the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule.

Otherwise, you may not need to change.

Personally, I don't recommend wireless to anyone. Wired is more reliable, secure etc. I treat wireless as an add-on - for movable or occasional network occupants.

Sooner or later, everyone puts in wires. Even the fabulous Mac Break Tech wireless network was replaced with wired - and the customer was adamant they didn't want any wires.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a little clueless regarding 802.11 stuff. No need for upstairs signals in this flat, so I might check eBay or macwarehouse for an older 'g' type express. I do need the wireless though, we're both on laptops and both need on. I broke the ethernet port on my old iBook (and a few ethernet cables!) with all the plugging in and out.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Your best bet would be a Linksys WRTG54... It should provide you with good signal all over... Place it in the centre of the house. Its easy to configure and is one which is supported by all ISPs.. Highly recommended. If it doesnt get good signal, get a Linksys Access Point and join it to the main router (it will pick up existing wireless connection)...

Airport Extreme has MTU issues.. Go linksys.. ISP will configure in no time. Never crashes - no restarts needed. Unlike Airport Extreme, if net goes down you wont have to restart.

Extremely inexpensive - only £35..

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
Is it cable or adsl you are getting?

If it is adsl there are other options.

Just the basic broadband package which is cable, in fact the flat is already wired up by the previous owner, saving me the installation costs.

I'll check out the linksys router.

Thanks.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
If you don't need any wired (ethernet) access then all you need is a wireless access point which plugs into the Virgin modem.

I can recommend the Buffalo WHR-G54S - genuine plug and play and a good signal strength too.

Always lots on eBay and never very expensive.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I just got a new Netgear one (the black one) and its great. So if you don't want an airport or whatever get one of these. I used to have a Linksys but it started to not work so I got this. Great investment!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I've got a Netgear which replaced a crappy belkin. Don't get a belkin what ever you do. In the space of 2 years, they had to replace mine 3 times because it burnt out!

The Netgear's been great (had it for about 4 years) however recently its been playing up (overheating I think) so will soon be replaced with a 802.11n - which will most likely be another Netgear, they are very reliable and support is relatively good. Much better than Belkin's crappy Indian "support" staff.

Never used Linksys before, but they seem pretty popular, as do the buffalo routers.

I'm sure which ever option you choose, it will be suitable. Just make sure you get one with at least 2 antennas, the more the better.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I have a Netgear DG834G that came free with my AOL contract. Although the connection is frankly bollocks, the router is great... works with my xp desktop, my sisters Vista Sony Viao, and my MacBook all perfectly well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.