Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I used to buy WD but for the last year or so I have purchased a number of Seagate USB 3.0 enclosures (about 4 3TB and 4 4TB). They come with 3 year warranties. They have exceptional speed. The 3TB Barracuda comes close to WD's 10,000rpm velociraptor for a fraction of the cost. Seagate's 5900rpm 4TB also comes close to WD 7200 4TB for speed, once again for a loss less cost.

Anyway, I have had good results from the latest Seagate 3 and 4TB USB3.0 drives.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've recently been looking at external hard drives and was wondering what others are using. I came across this Western Digital 1TB My Passport Drive for Mac and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks in advance!

I have been using the WD My Passport line only because they are easy to find and priced competitively. That said, drives are pretty much a commodity. Just get the size/spec you want at the best price you can find.

Also, you don't need a "Mac compatible" drive. You can format any drive to Mac OS Extended in Disk Utility and use it with your Mac.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I agree with the weasel - no need to buy a mac version; however with that said the offer on the drive you linked is a good deal with the discount.

I also have preferred the passport series (from the first 20GB version). They do seem to be pretty robust (never had one fail and I used to carry mine all over the world).

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Thanks for the suggestions, I am aware that it doesn't need to be "for Mac", but that was just a good deal I came across and it happened to be "for Mac" :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the suggestions, I am aware that it doesn't need to be "for Mac", but that was just a good deal I came across and it happened to be "for Mac" :D

It used to be that those "Mac versions" were more expensive, not all of a sudden they a re a bit cheaper for some reason like you found. Makes me wonder if Mac users knew they did not need them, and PC users did not buy them because they thought it would not work in Windows... so you have this no man's land drive retailers can't get rid of.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
It used to be that those "Mac versions" were more expensive, not all of a sudden they a re a bit cheaper for some reason like you found. Makes me wonder if Mac users knew they did not need them, and PC users did not buy them because they thought it would not work in Windows... so you have this no man's land drive retailers can't get rid of.

Yeah, the company is dealing with the drawback of formatting the drive a certain way and labeling it for sale as "compatible with Mac", for instance; when in fact you can reformat it from your computer once you purchase it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.